Geological Wonder: Japan Median Tectonic Line
Oshika Museum of Japan Median Tectonic Line : 大鹿中央横造線博物館
Learn About the Geological Fault Line Crossing Honshu.
Experience standing on Japan's longest seismic fault line and learn the geology of it at the Oshika Museum of Japan Median Tectonic Line.
The Japan Median Tectonic Line runs east to west pretty much the length of the Japanese archipelago, right under the tiny village of Oshika. The area's unique tectonic geology led it to be designated as the Minami-Alps Geo Park by the Geoparks Japan organization. You can learn all about the seismic collision taking place under our feet at the Oshika Museum of Japan Median Tectonic Line.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Mondays & Tuesdays (except open if falls on a holiday Apr.-Nov.) and 12/28-1/03
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- ¥500 (¥200 for middle school students, younger free)
- Time Required :
- 30 min-1 hour
- Reservations :
- Required to verify curator's availability. Telephone with your name, contact info, address, requested date and time and number of people.
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (Curator speaks English.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Entrance fee includes access to the adjacent Rokuben-kan folk museum.
tel : +81(0)265-39-2205 fax : +81(0)265-39-2205 Official site
- By Train
- From Ina-Oshima Station(JR Iida Line), Take bus for Oshika (4 runs per weekday, 2 on weekends/holidays) and get off at Okawara Stop (last stop, 53 min.)
- By Car
- From Matsukawa IC, Take Route 59 east 18.5km to intersection with Route 152 and turn right (south). Proceed 3.0km and turn right just past the bridge. (Total 40 min.).
- 988 Okawara, Oshika-shimoina 399-3502
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Narai-juku Post Town : "Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Lake Suwa Geyser Center : Hot Spring Geyser and 7-Spring Craters
- Yoshino-tei on the Tenryu River : Secluded Inn Overlooking the Tenryu River
- Ryukyo-tei on the Tenryu River : Hotel Perched on a Cliff above the Picturesque Tenryu Gorge
- Keigetsu in Hirugami Onsen : Traditional Japanese Inn with Accents of Local Wood Furnishings Throughout.
- Hotel Kisoji in Nagiso : Onsen Resort Hotel embracing the history and natural beauty of the Kiso Region.
- Kisoji-inn Daikichi : Small Inn Featuring Warm Wood Touches in a Relaxing Natural Setting.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Yoshimuraya : Handmade Soba Noodle Restaurant in Tsumago-juku Post Town.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Oshika Kabuki Performance : Watch a Performance of a Rare Countryside Kabuki, Twice Yearly.
- Tenryu River Boat Tour : Ride the Rapids of the Tenryu River’s Mid-Stretch with Traditionally-Garbed Guides.
- Silk-Related Crafts : Learn about Nagano’s Silk Heritage Through Hands-on Silk Crafts.
- Eat Komagane Sauce Katsu Don at an Official Restaurant : Try Komagane’s Famous Sauce Katsu Specialty Dish at One of these Fine Restaurants.
- Japanese Confectionary (Wagashi) Making : Making ‘Wagashi’ Is an Art – Iida’s Famous Confectionary Shop Teaches the Techniques.