Japanese Confectionary (Wagashi) Making
Akamon-ya : 赤門や
Making ‘Wagashi’ Is an Art – Iida’s Famous Confectionary Shop Teaches the Techniques.
Japanese Confectionary ("Wagashi") are tea sweets that are known for their beautiful appearance as well as healthy attributes. Throughout the Nagano Prefecture you will find many confectionery shops that pride themselves in the particular ingredients and traditional methods they use. Learn how to make "Wagashi" yourself at the capable hands of a master confectionary chef at Akamon-ya in Iida City.
Within Nagano Prefecture, the Tenryu River Valley area is especially known for carrying on the traditions of making "Wagashi" tea sweets and cakes. The Ina and Iida area has earned the nickname "Little Kyoto" with its many confectionary makers. With carefully made colorful shapes of seasonal flowers and using old-fashioned ingredients, their sweets are a treat for the eyes as well as the mouth.
Confectionary maker Akamon-ya in Iida City offers lessons in making wagashi. All the materials (even an apron) are provided, so guests can come empty handed and experience making wagashi. Beginners are welcome, as the enthusiastic staff will show all the steps involved. What type of wagashi that will be made depends on the season, so you can come back numerous times and learn to make a different wagashi each time.
- Hours :
- Lessons offered Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday 10:30-11:30 and 13:30-14:30; Shop Hours 09:30-18:30.
- Date(s) :
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 1,620 (includes the cost of ingredients and green tea to drink with the confections you make)
- Time Required :
- 50 min
- Reservations :
- Required(Required, 7-10 days in advance.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- (Instruction in Japanese)
- Luggage Storage :
Green tea is served at the end to enjoy with your creation.
(For parties of 2, may have to join with other people.)
tel : +81(0)265-52-1483 fax : +81(0)265-52-1586 Official site
- By Train
- From Kanae Station(JR Iida Line), Go west out of station and cross tracks, continue around bend, shop will be on the left. (1km, 12 min)
- By Car
- From Iida IC, Take Route 153 east to the Nagakuma-chuo signal and turn left. At the "T", turn right and the shop will be on the left. (3.7km, 11 min)
- 1453-5 Kanae Kamiyama, Iida 395-0806
- Narai-juku Post Town : "Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Okaya Silk Museum “Silk Fact Okaya” : Silk Museum Adjacent to an Actual Operating Silk Factory
- Shinano Wine (Winery Tour) : Third Generation Winery
- Yoshino-tei on the Tenryu River : Secluded Inn Overlooking the Tenryu River
- Ryukyo-tei on the Tenryu River : Hotel Perched on a Cliff above the Picturesque Tenryu Gorge
- Keigetsu in Hirugami Onsen : Traditional Japanese Inn with Accents of Local Wood Furnishings Throughout.
- Hotel Kisoji in Nagiso : Onsen Resort Hotel embracing the history and natural beauty of the Kiso Region.
- Fujioto Ryokan in Tsumago : Historical Ryokan Boasting a Traditional Japanese Garden.
- Yoshimuraya : Handmade Soba Noodle Restaurant in Tsumago-juku Post Town.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- See and Take Part in Japanese Puppetry at the Iida Puppet Festa : Watch a Puppet Show in Iida, One of Japan’s Top Puppetry Centers.
- Tenryu River Boat Tour : Ride the Rapids of the Tenryu River’s Mid-Stretch with Traditionally-Garbed Guides.
- Mizuhiki Lesson : Learn the Fine points of Mizuhiki in Iida, Birthplace of This Distinct Craft.
- Apple Picking in Iida's Sanwa Orchard : Fruit-Picking and Apple Pie Baking at this Large Orchard.
- Tenryu River Rhein Boat Ride : Leisurely Boat Ride through the Beautiful Tenryu River Gorge.