Tenryu River Boat Tour
Tenryu Fune Kudari Co., Inc. : 天竜舟下り株式会社
Ride the Rapids of the Tenryu River’s Mid-Stretch with Traditionally-Garbed Guides.
Thrilling ride down the mid-stretch of the mighty Tenryu River in a boat staffed by guides in traditional garb. Wildlife, waves and wonderful fun awaits.
One of two boat tours down the Tenryu River, the "Funa-Kudari" Boat Tour travels the relatively wilder mid-stretch of the river. Guides wearing happi coats and traditional bamboo 'kasa' hats steer the boats down the rapids, pointing out wildlife and explaining the area's history to guests. Boats are covered for riding during cold and/or inclement weather.
- Hours :
- Departures 9:30 and hourly 10:00-16:00 (-15:00 Nov.; 10:00 and by appt. Dec-mid Mar.)
- Date(s) :
- Operates Daily 3/20-11/30.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- ¥2,400 (¥1,200 for elementary school children)
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Amex
- Reservations :
- Recommended (Required in winter). Telephone, fax or e-mail with your name, contact number, requested date and time and number of people.
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- Chinese (English and Chinese pamphlets available. )
- Luggage Storage :
Time Required (60 min) includes 35 minutes riding the boat + 20 min riding the shuttle bus back.
Access by car from nearest expressway interchange is not so convenient. Access by train is most convenient by taxi from Iida Station which has the most frequent service.
In winter, service available by reservation for groups of 10+. Boats heated by 'kotatsu' (table with a heating element on its underside).
Parking at upper station is 400 yen. Free return shuttle. Parking at upper station 400 yen. Lower station is within walking distance from Tokimata Station on the JR Iida Line.
tel : +81(0)265-24-3345 fax : +81(0)265-23-3976 Official site
- By Train
- From Ina Yawata Station (JR Iida Line), (non-Express trains only), 5 min by taxi. From Iida Station, 15 min by taxi. From Tenryukyo Station, 20 min by taxi. (All stations on the JR Iida Line.)
- By Car
- From Iida IC, Take Route 153 (Apple Road Iida) east 4.4km to the Agemizo IC and take exit. Proceed 2 lights to Route 18 (Ina Kaido Highway, 永代橋 signal) and turn right. Proceed 1.8km to Bentenbashi-Nishi signal and continue straight as road turns into Route 232. Follow around the curve to first signal (Matsuo Arai intersection) and turn left, then first left. (Total 20 minutes.)
- 7170 Arai, Matsuo, Iida 395-0821
- Narai-juku Post Town : "Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Okaya Silk Museum “Silk Fact Okaya” : Silk Museum Adjacent to an Actual Operating Silk Factory
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Yoshino-tei on the Tenryu River : Secluded Inn Overlooking the Tenryu River
- Ryukyo-tei on the Tenryu River : Hotel Perched on a Cliff above the Picturesque Tenryu Gorge
- Keigetsu in Hirugami Onsen : Traditional Japanese Inn with Accents of Local Wood Furnishings Throughout.
- Hotel Kisoji in Nagiso : Onsen Resort Hotel embracing the history and natural beauty of the Kiso Region.
- Fujioto Ryokan in Tsumago : Historical Ryokan Boasting a Traditional Japanese Garden.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Yoshimuraya : Handmade Soba Noodle Restaurant in Tsumago-juku Post Town.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Japanese Confectionary (Wagashi) Making : Making ‘Wagashi’ Is an Art – Iida’s Famous Confectionary Shop Teaches the Techniques.
- See and Take Part in Japanese Puppetry at the Iida Puppet Festa : Watch a Puppet Show in Iida, One of Japan’s Top Puppetry Centers.
- Tenryu River Rhein Boat Ride : Leisurely Boat Ride through the Beautiful Tenryu River Gorge.
- Mizuhiki Lesson : Learn the Fine points of Mizuhiki in Iida, Birthplace of This Distinct Craft.
- Apple Picking in Iida's Sanwa Orchard : Fruit-Picking and Apple Pie Baking at this Large Orchard.