Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : 諏訪大社上社本宮
Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
The Grands Shrines of Suwa consist of Honmiya (Main Shrine) and Maemiya (Beginning or Head Shrine) of Kamisuwa to the south, and Akimiya (Fall Shrine) and Harumiya (Spring Shrine) of Shimosuwa to the north. One of the oldest shrines in all of Japan, there are 10,000 Suwa-related branch shrines throughout the country. Nicknamed 'O-Suwa-Sama', believers come to pray for wind, water, farming and strength. Honmiya is located at the base of Moriya Mt. and is surrounded by a forest.
The Grand Shrines signature event is the Great Pillars Festival ("Onbashira") held every 7th year. (Next is 2016.) Thousands of the shrine's supporters gather to bring 1 m thick, 17 m long logs weighting 12 tons, down from the mountains to the shrines, where they are stood up into place on the four corners of the shrine.
- Hours :
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
tel : +81(0)266-52-1919 fax : +81(0)266-52-3383
- By Train
- From Chino Station(JR Chuo Line), 20 min by bus
- By Car
- From Suwa IC, 2km 5 min
- 1, Miyama Nakasu, Suwa 392-0015
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Lake Suwa Geyser Center : Hot Spring Geyser and 7-Spring Craters
- Suwa Taisha(Grand Shrine) Shimosha Akimiya : One of the four Grand Shrines of Suwa, Featuring an Ancient 800-Year Old Tree and Colossal Straw Rope
- Honjin Iwanami-ke Museum : Edo-Era Traveler's Lodge with the Nakasendo's Best Garden
- B&B Megu House ZuKu in Suwa : Stay with the Itoh Family at their Typical Japanese House.
- RAKO Hananoi Hotel at Lake Suwa : Luxurious, Relaxing Lakeside Hotel.
- Aburaya Ryokan at Lake Suwa : Lakeside Onsen Hotel Known for Friendly Hospitality.
- Hotel Beniya at Lake Suwa : Hotel Offering a Choice of Rooms, Meals and Onsen Baths.
- Chosenkaku Kameya in Shimo-Suwa : 300-Year Old Inn With Famous Garden and Bath, Adjacent to Akinomiya Suwa Grand Shrine.
- Sen no Mizu : Heart-warming Nostalgic Home-style Cooking.
- Restaurant CLASUWA : Suwa Lakeside Stylish Restaurant.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Ajari Cafe : Home of the Popular Ajari Burger.
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Sake Tasting at the Venerable Masumi Brewery : Sample Sake at Nagano’s Premier Brewery, Birthplace of Yeast Number Seven.
- Lake Suwa Fireworks Display : Watch Nagano’s Biggest Fireworks Displays (One of the Most Famous in Japan).
- Watchmaking : Assemble a Watch in Suwa, the Switzerland of Japan.
- Music Box Workshop : Discover the Wonders of Music Boxes
- Wintertime Family Fun at a Snow Park : Exclusive Snow Park 1 Minute Walk from this Shirakaba Lake Hotel.