Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : SUWAガラスの里
Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
With its distinctive triangular roof and location along the banks of Lake Suwa, the Suwa Garasunosato glass museum is a major attraction for both children and adults in the Lake Suwa area. The museum features one of the largest glass shops in all of Japan, with a seemingly endless variety of glass art to enjoy. Japan's largest crystal ball with its ever-changing mystic-like reflections as well as glass beads with amazing shapes inside will delight you.
The gift shop features a variety of items from works of art by famous glass artists to simple glass bead accessories. Nagano's famous oyaki dumplings as well as local wines and craft beers are also available for purchase.
The workshop offers activities visitors can experience such as glass bead making and glass engraving.
- Hours :
- Open 09:00-18:00 (-17:00 Oct. thru Mar.). Entrance allowed up until 30 min before closing.
- Date(s) :
- Open daily year-round.
- Entrance Price :
- Museum entrance fee : 500 for high school age and older (400 for groups of 8 or more). Middle school age and younger free.
- Reservations :
- Not required
Facilities include a gift shop, workshop and restaurant.
tel : +81(0)266-57-2000 fax : +81(0)266-57-2020 Official site
- By Train
- From Kami-suwa Station(JR Chuo Line), 15 min by taxi, or 25 min by the city's loop busses "Karinchan-bus" and "Swan-bus".
- By Car
- From Okaya IC, 15 min
From Suwa IC, 15 min
- 2400-7 Toyoda, Suwa 392-0016
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Lake Suwa Geyser Center : Hot Spring Geyser and 7-Spring Craters
- Suwa Taisha(Grand Shrine) Shimosha Akimiya : One of the four Grand Shrines of Suwa, Featuring an Ancient 800-Year Old Tree and Colossal Straw Rope
- Honjin Iwanami-ke Museum : Edo-Era Traveler's Lodge with the Nakasendo's Best Garden
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- RAKO Hananoi Hotel at Lake Suwa : Luxurious, Relaxing Lakeside Hotel.
- Hotel Beniya at Lake Suwa : Hotel Offering a Choice of Rooms, Meals and Onsen Baths.
- Aburaya Ryokan at Lake Suwa : Lakeside Onsen Hotel Known for Friendly Hospitality.
- Chosenkaku Kameya in Shimo-Suwa : 300-Year Old Inn With Famous Garden and Bath, Adjacent to Akinomiya Suwa Grand Shrine.
- B&B Megu House ZuKu in Suwa : Stay with the Itoh Family at their Typical Japanese House.
- Sen no Mizu : Heart-warming Nostalgic Home-style Cooking.
- Restaurant CLASUWA : Suwa Lakeside Stylish Restaurant.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Ajari Cafe : Home of the Popular Ajari Burger.
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Lake Suwa Fireworks Display : Watch Nagano’s Biggest Fireworks Displays (One of the Most Famous in Japan).
- Watchmaking : Assemble a Watch in Suwa, the Switzerland of Japan.
- Sake Tasting at the Venerable Masumi Brewery : Sample Sake at Nagano’s Premier Brewery, Birthplace of Yeast Number Seven.
- Music Box Workshop : Discover the Wonders of Music Boxes
- Fruit Picking at a Full-Scale Orchard in Shiojiri : Large-Scale Orchard Boasting Magical Varieties of Grapes.