Narai-juku Post Town : 奈良井宿
"Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
Narai-juku marks the halfway point on the old Nakasendo Road between Kyoto and Edo (present-day Tokyo). This post town was one of the most prosperous of its age, as evidenced by how long the row of well-preserved houses stretches. Easy access by both train and car for people staying in Matsumoto and/or Suwa Lake.
- Time Required :
- 2 hours
- Foreign Languages :
- (English pamphlet as well as leaflets in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese available.)
- Luggage Storage :
No charge to walk the post town street. The business and the museum have various business hours and days off (including shortened hours and more days off during the winter). There is an entrance charge for the museum.
Tel# is for the Shiojiri City Tourist Association.
tel : +81(0)263-54-2001 Shiojiri City Tourist Association (塩尻市観光協会) fax : +81(0)263-52-1548 Official site
- By Train
- From Narai Station(JR Chuo Line), Adjacent to the station.
From JR Shiojiri Station, take the "Step-Kun" Bus, Narakawa Line, to the Naraieki stop (61 min) or to the Gonbeibashi stop (65 min).
- By Car
- From Shiojiri IC, via Route 19, 35 min
From Ina IC, via Route 361, 35 min
- Narai, Shiojiri City 399-6303
- Shinano Wine (Winery Tour) : Third Generation Winery
- Izutsu Wine (Winery) : Winery with a View of the Northern Alps, Surrounded by Picturesque Vineyards
- Okaya Silk Museum “Silk Fact Okaya” : Silk Museum Adjacent to an Actual Operating Silk Factory
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Suwa Taisha(Grand Shrine) Shimosha Akimiya : One of the four Grand Shrines of Suwa, Featuring an Ancient 800-Year Old Tree and Colossal Straw Rope
- Echigoya Ryokan in Narai-Juku : Immerse in an Edo-era Inn in Edo-era Post Town Narai-juku
- Oyado Iseya in Narai-Juku : Friendly Service and Delicious Kiso Home Cooking.
- Tsutaya in Kiso-Fukushima : Relaxing Hotel Awash in the History of the Old Kiso Road.
- Awanoyu in Shirahone Onsen : Relax in Awanoyu's Milky White Mineral Water in Famous Shirahone Onsen.
- Yumoto Saito-Ryokan in Shirahone : Grand, historical ryokan featuring Shirahone’s unique milky-white onsen water.
- Soba Tokkuriya : Handmade Japanese Cuisine in and Edo-era Post Town.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Hyakuso herbal medicine factory tour : Tour the Factory of Natural Herbal Medicine Maker Hyakuso.
- Working Farm with Hands-On Activities : Fruit Picking, Farm & Cultural Activities on a Full Scale Farm -- Fun for the Whole Family.
- How to do Sunki Lacto-Fermenting : Learn to Make Kiso Valley’s Unique Salt-free Pickling Technique.
- Master Gohei Mochi Making : Make Kiso’s Specialty Mochi-rice Sweats.
- Make Chopsticks out of Hinoki : Use Kiso’s Famed Hinoki Wood to Make Your Own Pair of Chopsticks.