Komagatake Ropeway to Senjojiki Cirque
Chuo Alps Komagatake Ropeway : 中央アルプス駒ヶ岳ロープウェイ
Ascend to the High-Alpine Senjojiki Cirque with Ease via the Komagatake Ropeway.
Get whisked up to 2600m altitude in a 61-passenger ropeway car to the Senjojiki Cirque, a bowl just below the top of Mt. Komagatake. Carved by glaciers some 20,000 years ago, the cirque is the breadth of 1000 tatami mats, hence its name "Senjojiki". Senjojiki Cirque is a treaure trove of alpine flowers set amongst the towering peaks of the Central Alps.
The Komagatake Ropeway has the largest elevation gain (950 meters, from 1662m Shirabidaira Station to 2,612m Senjojiki Station) in Japan, and its upper reach has the highest altitude of any ropeway stations in Japan. From the station, it is an easy walk to explore the Senjojiki Cirque, a bowl-like depression near the top of Mt. Komagatake. The spacious cirque ("senjojiki" means "1000-tatami mats") is home to a plethora of alpine flowers. Normally such high-altitude wilderness can only be accessed via a strenuous climb, but the Komagatake Ropeway will take you there with ease. From the upper station, it is a vigorous but manageable (even for beginners) 2 hour hike to reach the top of 2,956-meter Mount Komagatake. Get a tast of the grandeur of the Japanese Alps with the help of the Komagatake Ropeway!
- Hours :
- 8:00-17:00 with some variation depending on the season. Operation starts as early as 06:00 in summer and latest 9:05 in winter; ends as early as 15:55 in winter and as late as 17:00 in summer. 30 min intervals in green season, 60 minute intervals in winter.
- Date(s) :
- Operates year-round except in case of severe weather. Occasionally closed for maintenance.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Ropeway return ticket 2,260 for adults, 1,130 for children under 12
(Bus fare is separate.)
- Time Required :
- 30 min (Bus) + 8 min (Ropeway) + minimum 30 min at the top, then return.
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Union Pay
- Reservations :
- Not required
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- (Inside the bus and ropeway car, announcements are made in English, Chinese and Korean.)
- Luggage Storage :
Basic English signage. Discount for foreigners with passport.
Expect long lines during peak times, especially summer vacation. There are hiking courses suitable for beginners around Senjojiki Cirque. However, mountain weather can change unexpectedly. Dress accordingly.
tel : +81(0)265-83-3107 fax : +81(0)265-83-4537 Official site
- By Train
- From Komagane Station(JR Chuo Line), (By train) Take bus bound for Shirabi-daira Ropeway Station (1,030, 45 min).
(By Highway Bus) Take bus bound for Shirabi-daira Ropeway Station (950, 35 min)
- By Car
- From Komagane IC, Take Route 75 up (west) to Suganodaira Bus Center (2km, 3 min) and park. Then take bus to Shirabidaira Station (820, 30 min) and Ropeway to Senjojiki Station.
- 759-489 Akaho, Komagane 399-4117
- Narai-juku Post Town : "Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
- Yokokawa Gorge : Picturesque Gorge Famous for Vibrant Spring and Fall Colors.
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Shinano Wine (Winery Tour) : Third Generation Winery
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Tsutaya in Kiso-Fukushima : Relaxing Hotel Awash in the History of the Old Kiso Road.
- Echigoya Ryokan in Narai-Juku : Immerse in an Edo-era Inn in Edo-era Post Town Narai-juku
- Oyado Iseya in Narai-Juku : Friendly Service and Delicious Kiso Home Cooking.
- Yoshino-tei on the Tenryu River : Secluded Inn Overlooking the Tenryu River
- Hotel Kisoji in Nagiso : Onsen Resort Hotel embracing the history and natural beauty of the Kiso Region.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Soba Tokkuriya : Handmade Japanese Cuisine in and Edo-era Post Town.
- Eat Komagane Sauce Katsu Don at an Official Restaurant : Try Komagane’s Famous Sauce Katsu Specialty Dish at One of these Fine Restaurants.
- Kanten Papa Garden : See Kanten Papa’s Unusual Agar Making Process.
- Silk-Related Crafts : Learn about Nagano’s Silk Heritage Through Hands-on Silk Crafts.
- Working Farm with Hands-On Activities : Fruit Picking, Farm & Cultural Activities on a Full Scale Farm -- Fun for the Whole Family.
- Nanawarai Sake Brewery Tour : Tour the Nanawarai’s Sake Brewery, the Pride of Kiso Valley.