Apple Picking in Iida's Sanwa Orchard
Sanwa Orchard : 三和観光農園
Fruit-Picking and Apple Pie Baking at this Large Orchard.
Sanwa Orchard is located in the foothills of the Chuo (Central) Alps overlooking the Tenryu River with a panoramic view of the Southern Alps in the distance. At this picturesque setting, guests can not only pick apples and other fruit, but also take lessons in apple-pie making and/or blueberry jam making.
Nagano is one of Japan's top apple-producing prefectures. Besides the mainstay Fuji, several new varieties of apples have been developed in Nagano, primarily Akibae (deep red color -- think of the poison apple from Snow White), Shinano Sweet (red apple, sweeter than a Fuji), and Shinano Gold (similar to Golden Delicious). (Note: Shinano is the old name for Nagano.) Along with the new varieties, most orchards also have heritage varieties such as the tart "Kogyoku". If you visit an orchard, you will likely be surprised at how intensive the growing process here is. Can you imagine turning each individual apple 90-degrees so all sides get sun? Come see -- and taste -- for your self the care put into growing apples in Nagano.
- Hours :
- 8:30-17:00 ( Last entrance for pie-making is 15:30)
- Date(s) :
- Open daily Apr. to Nov. (open by appointment Dec. to Mar.).
Apple picking from mid-Aug. to late Nov.
Blueberry picking from mid-Jun. to mid-Sep.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 3,000 (2,000 for children 4-5 y.o.) for apple picking/ apple pie making/ blueberry jam making/ vanilla&blueberry softserve ice cream package
Apple picking 600 (300 for children aged 4-5, free for 3 or younger).
Blueberry picking 1000 (500 for children aged 4-5, free for 3 or younger).
- Time Required :
- 30 min～1 hour
- Reservations :
- Required(Required. Telephone, fax or e-mail your name, contact number, address, requested activity, date, time and number of people.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
Accustomed to having non-Japanese speakers come. In addition to 10 varieties of apples (in season mid-Aug. to end of Nov.), Sanwa Orchard also offers blueberry picking (mid-Jun. thru mid-Sep.) and lavender picking (Apr. - May). For fruit picking, up to 800 guests can be accommodated at a time.
tel : +81(0)265-25-4729 fax : +81(0)265-23-1891 Official site
- By Train
- From Iida Station (JR Iida Line), 15 min by taxi.
- By Car
- From Iida IC, Turn left and follow the Apple Road Iida up (northwest) 1.5km to Sanwa Orchard (5 min).
- 3442-3 Kitagata, Iida 395-0151
- Narai-juku Post Town : "Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
- Yokokawa Gorge : Picturesque Gorge Famous for Vibrant Spring and Fall Colors.
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Shinano Wine (Winery Tour) : Third Generation Winery
- Yoshino-tei on the Tenryu River : Secluded Inn Overlooking the Tenryu River
- Ryukyo-tei on the Tenryu River : Hotel Perched on a Cliff above the Picturesque Tenryu Gorge
- Keigetsu in Hirugami Onsen : Traditional Japanese Inn with Accents of Local Wood Furnishings Throughout.
- Hotel Kisoji in Nagiso : Onsen Resort Hotel embracing the history and natural beauty of the Kiso Region.
- Fujioto Ryokan in Tsumago : Historical Ryokan Boasting a Traditional Japanese Garden.
- Yoshimuraya : Handmade Soba Noodle Restaurant in Tsumago-juku Post Town.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Mizuhiki Lesson : Learn the Fine points of Mizuhiki in Iida, Birthplace of This Distinct Craft.
- See and Take Part in Japanese Puppetry at the Iida Puppet Festa : Watch a Puppet Show in Iida, One of Japan’s Top Puppetry Centers.
- Japanese Confectionary (Wagashi) Making : Making ‘Wagashi’ Is an Art – Iida’s Famous Confectionary Shop Teaches the Techniques.
- Experience Southern Nagano's Historical Past : Hands-On Activities to Experience the Historical Past of Southern Nagano.
- Tenryu River Rhein Boat Ride : Leisurely Boat Ride through the Beautiful Tenryu River Gorge.