Metal Engraving with an Iiyama Master Craftsman
Washimori Kanagu : 鷲森金具
Have One of Iiyama’s Master Craftsmen Show How to Engrave Brass.
Learn copper engraving under the steady instruction of one of Iiyama City's master craftsmen.
Iiyama City is famous for the high quality of the Butsudan's (Buddhist altars commonly found in Japanese homes) made here. The process entails the coordination of a wide variety of craftsmen, from carpenters and woodcarvers to metalsmiths and lacquer workers. As a result, many highly skilled craftsmen make their home in Iiyama. One such master craftsman, Washimori-san, is happy to share his knowledge of copper engraving with visitor from overseas.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed Mondays and around New Years.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Copper bookmark 1,500, ring 2,000, necklace 4,000
- Time Required :
- 1.5 hours+
- Reservations :
- Required(Required minimum 1 day in advance (3 days in advance for groups). Contact the Iiyama Tourism Assoc. www.iiyama-ouendan.net)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English instruction sheet provided.)
- Luggage Storage :
Instruction in Japanese with lots of body language. Groups are requested to bring an interpreter.
tel : +81(0)269-62-3133 いいやま観光局（ Iiyama Tourism Assoc. ） Official site
- By Train
- From Iiyama Station(JR Iiyama Line), Walk north and cross the tracks to Route 97, turn left, and the workshop will be on the left. (1km, 15 min. on foot)
- By Car
- From Toyota-Iiyama IC, Take Route 117 northeast, then Route 97. (8.1km, 22 min.)
- 1439-1 Iiyama, Iiyama 389-2253
- Nozawa Onsen Sparina : Year-Round Bath House with Onsen Pool
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Ryokan Shikisai no Yado KANOE : Quiet Japanese-style Hotel in a Pastoral Setting Far from Civilization.
- Hotel Tangram : All-in-One Resort Hotel Offereing Year-Round Enjoyment
- Kawamotoya Ryokan : Modern Japanese-Styled Hotel with Natural Onsen in the Heart of Nozawa Onsen
- Nozawa View Hotel Shimataya : Hotel Overlooking the Nozawa Onsen Village.
- Address Nozawa : Boutique Apartment Hotel Featuring a Stylish Blend of Japanese and Western Design.
- Cafe Satowa : New Style 'Michi-no-Eki' Road Station Serving Breakfast, too.
- Restaurant Kamakura-mura : Winter Fairy Tale-Like Igloo Restaurant.
- Asabano-an : Secluded Sweets Shop Hidden in a Garden by Mystical Kosuge Shrine.
- Chanko Cuisine Tamaya : Reasonably-Priced Healthy "Chanko" Stews.
- Restaurant ST. COUSAIR : European-Style Restaurant Overlooking a Field of Wine Grapes.
- Uchiyama Washi (Japanese Paper) Workshop in Iiyama : Japanese Paper Making Using this Distinct Deep-Snow Country Process.
- Cherish Nagano's Countryside through Mayumi Takahashi's Doll Art : Nagano’s Country Lifestyle as Expressed by Mayumi Takahashi’s Doll Art.
- Uchiyama Washi (Japanese Paper) Making at Kamisukiya (Kijimadaira Village) : Kijimadaira’s Version of Snow-Country Uchiyama Paper Making.
- Sasazushi at Kajika-tei : Try Northern Nagano’s Iconic Sasa-Sushi and Tomikura Soba at the Landmark Kajika-tei.
- Nakano Clay Doll Painting : Paint Your Own Artistic Nakano Clay Doll.