Uchiyama Washi (Japanese Paper) Making at Kamisukiya (Kijimadaira Village)
Uchiyama Kamisukiya : 内山手すき和紙体験の家
Kijimadaira’s Version of Snow-Country Uchiyama Paper Making.
Learn the craft of making "Washi" -- traditional Japanese paper -- at Kamisukiya in picturesque Kijimadaira Village. Make a postcard using traditional papermaking techniques to take home as a souvenir. Other objects that can be made are business cards, paper fans, even paper lamps. "Art Lamp" lessons also available. With minimum 2 week advance notice, full 2-1/2 hour courses including preparing the pulp are offered.
The northern Nagano 'washi' tradition called "Uchiyama" is renowned for the strength of the paper. Due to its strength it is commonly used as the paper in shoji screen room dividers. For over three and a half centuries, craftsmen have been taking advantage of Iiyama’s cold winters, heavy snow fall, and clear running water to make Uchiyama-style ‘washi’.
- Hours :
- 9:00-17:00 (10:00-16:00 Dec.-Mar.) Activities offered 9:00-11:00 and 13:00-16:00.
- Date(s) :
- Closed Wednesdays and around New Years
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- From 800
- Time Required :
- 1 hour+
- Reservations :
- Required(Not required for parties of less than 10 during April - October. For Nov. through March and for groups of 10+ year-round, telephone or e-mail in advance with name, contact number, requested date and time and activity.)
- # of Participants :
- 1-50 (1-28 during winter and/or times of snow)
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English pamphlet available. )
- Luggage Storage :
Crafts made from Uchiyama 'washi' available for purchase.
tel : +81(0)269-82-4151 fax : +81(0)269-82-4151 Official site
- By Train
- From Iiyama Station(JR Iiyama Line), 15 min. by taxi.
- By Car
- From Toyota-Iiyama IC, Take Route 117 northeast 6.4km. At the Shinmachi signal turn right on to Route 38, cross the bridge and turn left staying on Route 38. In 4.8km, bear right at the "Y" on to Route 354 and proceed 250m to the Town Hall. Turn left following signs to Maguse Onsen and continue 1.5km and turn left. Kamisukiya will be in 300m.
- 1143-3 Hotaka, Kijimadaira, Shimotakai 389-2301
- Nozawa Onsen Sparina : Year-Round Bath House with Onsen Pool
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Address Nozawa : Boutique Apartment Hotel Featuring a Stylish Blend of Japanese and Western Design.
- Hotel Haus St.Anton : Family-Run Austrian-themed Lodge in the Heart of Nozawa Onsen Village.
- Kawamotoya Ryokan : Modern Japanese-Styled Hotel with Natural Onsen in the Heart of Nozawa Onsen
- Nozawa View Hotel Shimataya : Hotel Overlooking the Nozawa Onsen Village.
- Ryokan Shikisai no Yado KANOE : Quiet Japanese-style Hotel in a Pastoral Setting Far from Civilization.
- Asabano-an : Secluded Sweets Shop Hidden in a Garden by Mystical Kosuge Shrine.
- Cafe Satowa : New Style 'Michi-no-Eki' Road Station Serving Breakfast, too.
- Restaurant Kamakura-mura : Winter Fairy Tale-Like Igloo Restaurant.
- Chanko Cuisine Tamaya : Reasonably-Priced Healthy "Chanko" Stews.
- Enza café & ramen enza : A stylish café and ramen restaurant located at the trail head leading to the Snow Monkey Park
- Cherish Nagano's Countryside through Mayumi Takahashi's Doll Art : Nagano’s Country Lifestyle as Expressed by Mayumi Takahashi’s Doll Art.
- 'Sansai' (Mountain Vegetables) Gathering : Go with a Guide to Nozawa Onsen’s Mountains to Gather Wild Plants.
- Uchiyama Washi (Japanese Paper) Workshop in Iiyama : Japanese Paper Making Using this Distinct Deep-Snow Country Process.
- Metal Engraving with an Iiyama Master Craftsman : Have One of Iiyama’s Master Craftsmen Show How to Engrave Brass.
- Straw Craft Making : Deep Snow Country Iiyama's Wintertime Activity: Straw Craft Making.