Takato Castle Site Park Cherry Blossoms
Takato Castle Site Park : 高速城址公園
Castle Remains Surrounded by Pink Cherry Blossoms in Early April.
The remains of hilltop Takato Castle surrounded by a cacophony of beautiful sakura -- that's Takato Castle Site Park, awash in the soft reddish pink of the Takato-kohigan cherry blossoms in April. These one-of-a-kind blossoms are slightly more petite than the usual someyoshi variety, and have a distinctive pink color. The park's 1500 trees attract visitors from all over Japan and from abroad as well for their blossoms.
Perched on a cliff above the confluence of the Mibu and Yamamura Rivers with the Chuo Alps in the background, Takato Castle attracts 250,000 vistiors in April to see the over 1,500 flowering cherry trees. The castle park's trees are a unique variety called Takato Kohigan sakura (Prunus subhirtella) with petals that are daintier and more of a reddish tint than common blossoms.
- Hours :
- 8:00-17:00. During peak blossom period, hours are 6:00-22:00 with the trees lit up at night from sunset to 22:00. Note: Last entrance is 21:30.
- Date(s) :
- Park open daily during the festival that runs the month of Apr. Peak blossom dates vary but tend to be mid-Apr.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 500 (250 for elementary and middle school students) during the festival.
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- English, Chinese, Korean (Brochures available in English, Chinese (Traditional, Simplified) and Korean. Park announcements made in English and Chinese. )
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Expect crowds with the cherry blossoms.
tel : +81(0)265-94-2557 公園管理事務所 Official site
- By Train
- From Inashi Station(JR Iida Line), take the JR bus to the Takato Eki stop, then 15 min on foot. During the festival, shuttle buses operate.
- By Car
- From Ina IC, Take Route 87 east 2.7km to Route 153 and turn right. Proceed south 1km to Irifune signal and turn left on to Route 361. Travel east 10km to the castle park. (Total 14.0km, 25 min.)
From Suwa IC, 31 km / 50 min
- 2295 Higashi Takato, Takato, Ina 396-0213
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Yokokawa Gorge : Picturesque Gorge Famous for Vibrant Spring and Fall Colors.
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Lake Suwa Geyser Center : Hot Spring Geyser and 7-Spring Craters
- B&B Megu House ZuKu in Suwa : Stay with the Itoh Family at their Typical Japanese House.
- RAKO Hananoi Hotel at Lake Suwa : Luxurious, Relaxing Lakeside Hotel.
- Aburaya Ryokan at Lake Suwa : Lakeside Onsen Hotel Known for Friendly Hospitality.
- Hotel Beniya at Lake Suwa : Hotel Offering a Choice of Rooms, Meals and Onsen Baths.
- Chosenkaku Kameya in Shimo-Suwa : 300-Year Old Inn With Famous Garden and Bath, Adjacent to Akinomiya Suwa Grand Shrine.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Sen no Mizu : Heart-warming Nostalgic Home-style Cooking.
- Restaurant CLASUWA : Suwa Lakeside Stylish Restaurant.
- Soba Tokkuriya : Handmade Japanese Cuisine in and Edo-era Post Town.
- Silk-Related Crafts : Learn about Nagano’s Silk Heritage Through Hands-on Silk Crafts.
- Kanten Papa Garden : See Kanten Papa’s Unusual Agar Making Process.
- Working Farm with Hands-On Activities : Fruit Picking, Farm & Cultural Activities on a Full Scale Farm -- Fun for the Whole Family.
- Eat Komagane Sauce Katsu Don at an Official Restaurant : Try Komagane’s Famous Sauce Katsu Specialty Dish at One of these Fine Restaurants.
- Sake Tasting at the Venerable Masumi Brewery : Sample Sake at Nagano’s Premier Brewery, Birthplace of Yeast Number Seven.