Gibier (Wild Game Meat)
Gokokutei : ごとく亭
Are You Game to Try Game? Do as the Nagano-ites Do and Eat Wild Game Meat.
Nagano Prefecture is one of the most heavily-forested prefectures in Japan. Over 20% is designated as National Park land. So it is natural that deer, wild boar and bear meat have a presence in Nagano's culinary heritage. For those who savor meat from the wild side, Nagano is the place for you. And Gotoku-tei near Nagano Station has a wide selection of gibier on their menu.
Gibier (aka wild game meat) is often eaten in Nagano especially from fall into early winter, the main hunting season. The Oshika Village area is noted for having a strong tradition of dining on deer, wild boar and bear meat, a tradition going back for many generations. Nowadays, wild game meat has become highly regarded for its healthy attributes, being high in protein and low in fat. It is commonly served in stews,curries and other popular dishes. Here in Nagano Prefecture, their own set of hygiene standards for wild game meat preparation have been established, so more people can safely enjoy this delicacy. Gotaku-tei Restaurant by Nagano Station offers gibier on their menu on a regular basis, for your enjoyment!
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Open daily.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Varies. Dinner set menu from 2000.
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Amex
- Reservations :
- Not required(Reservations recommended for groups)
- Foreign Languages :
Basic English available. Menu availability varies by season.
tel : +81(0)26-223-2282 fax : +81(0)26-235-1556
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), From Zenkoji Exit, go northeast on Odori 2 blocks to Chitose Koen signal and turn right. At the "T" the restaurant will be on the near left corner in the basement.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Route 35 / Route 117 to the city center.
- 1-12-1 Minami Chitose, Nagano 380-0823
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?
- Learn How to Make Miso Paste : Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
- Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji : Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
- Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple : Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.
- Togakure-ryu Ninja Training : Sneak a Peak into the World of Ninjas be a Lesson with a Togakure-do Master!