Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple
Bonsho-no-Kai : 梵鐘の会
Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.
Tour the venerable Zenkoji Temple with the knowledgeable guidance of the Bonsho no Kai, a group of volunteer tour guides offering explanation in English, German, French and Chinese.
Zenkoji Temple is the heart and soul of Nagano City. The temple houses the very first Buddhist image to come to Japan over 1400 years ago. The temple is full of mysticism and symbolism, much of which would be missed to the casual observer. Let the volunteer guide group Bonsho no Kai take you around the temple grounds and explain the full meaning of Zenkoji.
- Hours :
- By arrangement
- Date(s) :
- Contact to arrange time and meeting place.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Time Required :
- 1-2 hours (for Zenkoji tour)
- Reservations :
- Required(Required 1 day in advance. Contact via e-mail.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English, Chinese, German，French
- Luggage Storage :
Guides speak English. Contact in advance to arrange time and meeting place. Besides Zenkoji, guides available for Togakushi and Obuse, too. Guide service is free but guests are expected to pay any transportation costs.
tel : +81(0)26-243-4236 fax : +81(0)026-243-4236 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station (JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), 5 min by bus or 25 min on foot.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Take Route 35 which merges with Route 117 to Nagano city center and follow signs to Zenkoji (10.5km, 25 min.).
- 491 Motoyoshicho, Nagano 380-0871
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Togakure-ryu Ninja Training : Sneak a Peak into the World of Ninjas be a Lesson with a Togakure-do Master!
- Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji : Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
- Learn How to Make Miso Paste : Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?
- Gibier (Wild Game Meat) : Are You Game to Try Game? Do as the Nagano-ites Do and Eat Wild Game Meat.