Yayoiza : 門前茶寮 弥生座
Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
Situated in a remodeled 160-year old 'machiya' townhouse, Yayoiza serves Nagano's heritage cuisine using locally sourced, seasonal ingredients including 'Shojin' Buddhist vegetarian meals exemplary of Zenkoji Temple. Yayoiza emphasizes steamed dishes using wood framed trays made of Sawara Cypress from the Kiso Valley. The 30cm-square trays are loaded with freshly-picked Nagano vegetables and placed over the steamer for a simple, healthy diet reminiscent of the Yayoi Era. The pancake-like 'usu-yaki' made with soba (buckwheat flour) and seasoned with miso is Yayoiza's signature dish.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed Tuesdays and the 2nd Wednesday of each month
- Average Price :
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Diners
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Capacity :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English menu available.)
- Seating Style :
- Floor Seating(20 seat(s)), Chairs(42 seat(s))
tel : +81(0)26-232-2311 fax : +81(0)26-232-3312 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), Walk up Chuo-dori, the main street, towards Zenkoji Temple, approx. 20 minutes. Or, take a bus bound for Zenkoji and get off at the Zenkoji Daimon stop, then 2 min on foot.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Follow the signs towards Zenkoji Temple, approx. 30 min.
- 503 Daimon-cho, Nagano 380-0841
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Soba Agare-ya : Stone-milled Soba Eaten Around a Hearth.
- Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji : Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
- Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple : Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.
- Learn How to Make Miso Paste : Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
- Togakure-ryu Ninja Training : Sneak a Peak into the World of Ninjas be a Lesson with a Togakure-do Master!
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?