Togakure-ryu Ninja Training
Yamanokami Dojo : 山の神忍者道場
Sneak a Peak into the World of Ninjas be a Lesson with a Togakure-do Master!
Want to learn how to walk stealthily like a ninja? Or are you interested in learning some basic self-defense manuevers? How about throwing shurikens? Or climbing up walls to reach the roof of the building -- and then jumping down from the 2nd story? The Yamanokami Ninja Dojo is the place for you!
Nagano is home to Togakure-do, one of Japan's 3 original schools of ninjutsu. Based around Togakushi Mountain above Nagano City, several pracitioners keep the ninja tradition alive and one in particular, Miyashita-san, is active in teaching ninja lessons to the next generation. He offers ninja training at Yamanokami, an inn near Zenkoji Temple down in Nagano City proper. From there he operates an NPO that teaches ninjutsu to children. Miyashita-san trained in several schools of martial arts including long stints overseas, and finally settled on ninjutsu in which to specialize. He is happy to share his knowledge to people curious about the unique skills and techniques of ninjas. 1st rule: There are no rules! Anyone from kids to adults can participate in the lessons -- even kids WITH adults. Miyashita-san will tailor the lesson to the skills of the participants: from basic techniques for beginners to advanced moves that practitioners of other martial arts can learn from.
- Hours :
- 9:00-11:00. Other times by appointment.
- Date(s) :
- Irregular. Contact in advance to confirm availability.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- ¥2,000 per person
- Time Required :
- 2 hours
- Reservations :
- Required(Required min. 1 day in advance. Telephone or e-mail to the above contacts)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (Miyashita-san speaks English. )
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Lessons available at other times upon request. With prior arrangement, lessons can be provided at a location of your request. Ninja outfit rental available. Additional Togurakure-do ninja-related facilities located in Togakushi: The Kids Ninja Village and the Togakushi Ninja Museum. However, Miyashita-san's training lessons are the only Togakure-ryu ninja experience available year-round.
tel : +81(0)90-3558-0179 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), walk or take bus to Zenkoji (2km). At the intersection on the temple's north side (善光寺北), turn left (north) 150m to the next light (箱清水) and turn left, going 200m to the "T". Follow the red arrows up 300m to 山の神温泉 Yamanokami Onsen.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, take Route 35 north into central Nagano City where it merges with Route 117, continuing to the "T" ("Shindai-mae") at Route 406 (9.7km). Turn right and proceed 200m to the next light ("Wakamatsu-machi") and turn left (north) on to Route 37. Follow Route 37 as it goes right at the 2nd light (横沢町) and left at Zenkoji-West (善光寺にし）and curves around to Zenkoji's north side. Follow above directions from north side of Zenkoji.
- 3-23-50 Hakoshimizu, Nagano 380-0801
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple : Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.
- Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji : Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
- Learn How to Make Miso Paste : Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?
- Gibier (Wild Game Meat) : Are You Game to Try Game? Do as the Nagano-ites Do and Eat Wild Game Meat.