Learn How to Make Miso Paste
Suyakame : すや亀
Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
Nagano Prefecture is one of Japan's biggest growers of soybeans, so naturally the prefecture is home to more Miso makers than anywhere else in Japan. You've had miso soup and food flavored with miso paste -- have you wondered how miso is made? Come to Nagano and find out by making it yourself, at Nagano City's premier miso maker, Suyakame
Not far from the venerable Zenkoji Temple in Nagano City you'll find the historical miso factory, Suyakame. Their high quality miso has won numerous prestigious awards in Japan. Here you can learn how to make miso yourself. After taking a tour of the miso making facilities, participants will mix soybeans, salt and malted rice to make their own miso. Store it at room temperature for a minimum of 3 months and it will be ready to be made into miso soup.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Open year-round except Jan. 1st and 2nd.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 5,150 per person. + Shipping if required.
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Amex
- Reservations :
- Required(min. 1 week prior by telephone.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- (Please bring an interpreter.)
- Luggage Storage :
Instruction in Japanese. Miso takes 3-6 months of fermenting before becoming edible, so take it home with you and look forward to eating it!
Store has a gift shop and restaurant on the premises.
tel : +81(0)26-235-4022 fax : +81(0)26-235-0391 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), Go north on Chuo Dori Street past Showa Dori (Shindenmachi signal) to next signal and turn left. (20 min, 1.2km)
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Take Route 35 north. Continue north after intersecting with Route 77. At the Prefectural Office signal turn right on to Showa Dori street then left at Minami Agatamachi signal and right at 2nd Minami Agatamachi signal for 2 blocks.
- 625 Nishigocho, Nagano 380-0845
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji : Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?
- Gibier (Wild Game Meat) : Are You Game to Try Game? Do as the Nagano-ites Do and Eat Wild Game Meat.
- Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple : Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.
- Togakure-ryu Ninja Training : Sneak a Peak into the World of Ninjas be a Lesson with a Togakure-do Master!