Soba-Uchi (Making Buckwheat Noodles) at Soba Mecca Kaida Kogen
Soba Doraku Taiken Dojo : そば道楽体験道場
Make Soba Noodles by Hand in Kaida Kogen, Buckwheat Paradise at Mt. Ontake.
Kiso River Valley
Nagano is famous for soba noodles. You'll find soba restaurants wherever you go. But the most delicious soba noodles are: the ones you make your self! Learn how to prepare the buckwheat flour, kneed it, roll it flat, fold it, and use the special soba knife to cut the thin noodles. Afterwards, see how to cook the noodles and then delight in eating your creation!
Within soba-crazy Nagano Prefecture, Kaida Kogen is a soba Mecca. The high elevation is perfectly suitable for growing buckwheat, the main ingredient in soba noodles. Because of the high elevation, their tends to be a big difference between nighttime and daytime temperatures, perfect for growing soba. And in the summer, the area is often shrouded in fog -- another condition for growing delicious soba. Soba-related heritage is so strong here that the locals believe only a lady who has learned how to do 'soba-uchi' (making buckwheat noodles) will be a good wife.
So take your friends and family and come experience making soba noodles at the source by a local soba master, at Kaida Kogen Ippongi-tei. Their purpose-built soba-uchi studio was constructed in 2004.
- Hours :
- 10:00-15:00 (-14:00 in winter) Soba lessons offered at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00 and 14:00 with other times possible on an as-available basis.
- Date(s) :
- Wednesdays from Apr. to Nov.
Open daily in Aug.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 1,500 per person.
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Reservations :
- Foreign Languages :
- (Explanation using body language.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
For an extra charge, tempura can be added. Soba-uchi tools available for purchase. For more fun, the adjacent ranch offers horseback riding.
tel : +81(0)264-42-3225 Official site
- By Train
- From Kiso-Fukushima Station(JR Chuo Line), Take Ontake Bus bound for Kaida Kogen and get off at the Kiso Uma no Sato stop (40 min) + 10 min walk.
- By Car
- From Ina IC, via the Gonbee Pass Tunnel, 40km (approx. 45 min)
- 5552-8 Suekawa, Kaida Kogen, Kiso, Kiso 397-0301
- Narai-juku Post Town : "Narai of a Thousand Houses" -- Longest Post Town in all of Japan.
- Shinano Wine (Winery Tour) : Third Generation Winery
- Izutsu Wine (Winery) : Winery with a View of the Northern Alps, Surrounded by Picturesque Vineyards
- Okaya Silk Museum “Silk Fact Okaya” : Silk Museum Adjacent to an Actual Operating Silk Factory
- Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
- Tsutaya in Kiso-Fukushima : Relaxing Hotel Awash in the History of the Old Kiso Road.
- Oyado Iseya in Narai-Juku : Friendly Service and Delicious Kiso Home Cooking.
- Echigoya Ryokan in Narai-Juku : Immerse in an Edo-era Inn in Edo-era Post Town Narai-juku
- Awanoyu in Shirahone Onsen : Relax in Awanoyu's Milky White Mineral Water in Famous Shirahone Onsen.
- Yumoto Saito-Ryokan in Shirahone : Grand, historical ryokan featuring Shirahone’s unique milky-white onsen water.
- Bistro Matsushima-tei : Historical Post Town Building Reborn as Italian.
- Soba Kurumaya : Classic Kiso Hand-made Soba Shop with a 300-Year History.
- Soba Tokkuriya : Handmade Japanese Cuisine in and Edo-era Post Town.
- Farm Restaurant Tomato no Ki : Buffet-style Restaurant with Views of the Southern Alps.
- Chuo Alps Tozan-Guchi Meiji-tei : At the Base of the Chuo Alps, Sauce-Katsu with their own Original Sauce.
- Heritage Horseback Riding in Kiso : Horseback Riding on Kiso’s Own Breed of Horses.
- How to do Sunki Lacto-Fermenting : Learn to Make Kiso Valley’s Unique Salt-free Pickling Technique.
- Master Gohei Mochi Making : Make Kiso’s Specialty Mochi-rice Sweats.
- Make Chopsticks out of Hinoki : Use Kiso’s Famed Hinoki Wood to Make Your Own Pair of Chopsticks.
- Kiso-Fukushima 'Furusato Taikenkan' Activities Hall : The Place to Experience Kiso Valley's Distinct Culture