Straw Craft Making
Iiyama City Nukui Community Center : 温井（ぬくい）地区公民館
Deep Snow Country Iiyama's Wintertime Activity: Straw Craft Making.
In areas of deep snow like Iiyama, wintertime activities are limited. One activity popular in Iiyama is to sit around the hearth and weave straw into the shapes of animals. There is a saying that cranes live for 1,000 years and turtles live for 10,000 years. Sit down with the Nukui Community Center ladies and have them show you how to create a turtle out of straw for a symbol of good fortune to take home with you along with a crane as a present from one of the instructors.
- Hours :
- Inquire in advance.
- Date(s) :
- Inquire in advance.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Adult 1,500-3,000
- Time Required :
- 2 hours
- Reservations :
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- Luggage Storage :
- By Train
- From Togari-Nozawa Onsen Station(JR Iiyama Line), 20 min by taxi.
- By Car
- From Toyota-Iiyama IC, 40 min.
- 537 Ichiyama, Iiyama 389-2602
- Nozawa Onsen Sparina : Year-Round Bath House with Onsen Pool
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Nabekura Kogen(Heights) Mori no Ie : Wooden Cottages in Nabekura’s Beech Forest.
- Ryokan Shikisai no Yado KANOE : Quiet Japanese-style Hotel in a Pastoral Setting Far from Civilization.
- Kawamotoya Ryokan : Modern Japanese-Styled Hotel with Natural Onsen in the Heart of Nozawa Onsen
- Nozawa View Hotel Shimataya : Hotel Overlooking the Nozawa Onsen Village.
- Hotel Haus St.Anton : Family-Run Austrian-themed Lodge in the Heart of Nozawa Onsen Village.
- Asabano-an : Secluded Sweets Shop Hidden in a Garden by Mystical Kosuge Shrine.
- Restaurant Kamakura-mura : Winter Fairy Tale-Like Igloo Restaurant.
- Cafe Satowa : New Style 'Michi-no-Eki' Road Station Serving Breakfast, too.
- Chanko Cuisine Tamaya : Reasonably-Priced Healthy "Chanko" Stews.
- Enza café & ramen enza : A stylish café and ramen restaurant located at the trail head leading to the Snow Monkey Park
- Forest Tie-Dye : Tie-dye a Bandana Using Twigs for a Forest Momento.
- Snow Shoe Trekking in the Nabekura Beech Forest : Frollick with Snow Shoes in Nabekura's Powder Snow.
- Tea Time in Nabekura's Beech Forest : Go Trekking for a Picnic in Nabekura's Beech Forest.
- 'Sansai' (Mountain Vegetables) Gathering : Go with a Guide to Nozawa Onsen’s Mountains to Gather Wild Plants.
- Uchiyama Washi (Japanese Paper) Making at Kamisukiya (Kijimadaira Village) : Kijimadaira’s Version of Snow-Country Uchiyama Paper Making.