Smelt Fishing at Nojiri Lake
Nojiriko Marina : 野尻湖マリーナ
Go Fishing for Smelt on Lake Nojiri.
Smelt fishing is a favorite winter pastime in Nagano. For the northern part of the prefecture, Nojiri Lake is one of the most popular locations. The "Northern Nagano 5 Peaks" provide a picturesque backdrop to enjoy while fishing.
Wakasagi (Hypomesus nipponensis -- Japanese smelt) is commonly found in many of Nagano's lakes, and wakasagi fishing tours are offered at several locations. The typical tour consists of riding in boat with a clear plastic sheet dome enclosure in which to keep warm. You fish off the sides of the boat and/or through special holes in the bottom.
Nojiri Lake Marina offers daily wakasagi fishing cruises complete with everything you need including pole, line and bait.
- Hours :
- Shop hours are 7:00-16:00. Tours depart at 7:30 and return at 15:00. Register at 7:00.
- Date(s) :
- Fishing tours offered daily from November 1 to the 1st Sunday of April, except 31-Dec. and 01-Jan.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 4,400 (3,700 for fishing tour per person. 700 for 1-day fishing pass). 0 yen for elementary and middle school students. Gear rental is extra.
- Time Required :
- 8 hours (7:00 departure, 15:00 return)
- Reservations :
- Recommended for weekends/ holidays. Telephone with name, contact number, requested date and # of participants.
- # of Participants :
All signage and instruction is in Japanese, but the staff is willing to assist English speakers. Boat is equipped with toilets and hot water is available, but pack your own lunch. Temperatures on the lake tend to be colder than on land, and weather can change unpredictably, so dress accordingly. All necessary gear is available for rental. For charters, time can be freely arranged.
tel : +81(0)26-258-2629 fax : +81(0)26-258-2727 Official site
- By Train
- From Kurohime Station(Kita-Shinano Line), 10 min. by taxi.
- By Car
- From Shinanomachi IC, take Route 18 north 2.3km to the Nojiriko signal and turn right on to Route 360. Go 2 blocks to the "T" and turn left on to Route 504. Nojiri Lake Marina will be on the right in 200m.
- 7-3 Nojiri, Shinano, Kamiminochi 389-1303
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Nozawa Onsen Sparina : Year-Round Bath House with Onsen Pool
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Hotel Tangram : All-in-One Resort Hotel Offereing Year-Round Enjoyment
- Togakushi Campsite : Camp in an Open Field at the Base of Picturesque Togakushi Mountain.
- Oumei-tei Tsuji Ryokan : Togakushi Inn Famous for Soba (Buckwheat) Kaiseki Meals
- Guesthouse Obuse : 4-Room Hotel / Tea Shop / Guide Center.
- Vent Vert : French Country-style Auberge in Quaint Obuse
- Restaurant ST. COUSAIR : European-Style Restaurant Overlooking a Field of Wine Grapes.
- Restaurant Kamakura-mura : Winter Fairy Tale-Like Igloo Restaurant.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Boat Cruise of Nojiri Lake : Cruise on Northern Nagano’s Mountain Gem, Nojiri Lake.
- Sasazushi at Kajika-tei : Try Northern Nagano’s Iconic Sasa-Sushi and Tomikura Soba at the Landmark Kajika-tei.
- Uchiyama Washi (Japanese Paper) Workshop in Iiyama : Japanese Paper Making Using this Distinct Deep-Snow Country Process.
- Metal Engraving with an Iiyama Master Craftsman : Have One of Iiyama’s Master Craftsmen Show How to Engrave Brass.
- Cherish Nagano's Countryside through Mayumi Takahashi's Doll Art : Nagano’s Country Lifestyle as Expressed by Mayumi Takahashi’s Doll Art.