Yanagi-Machi Post Town : 北国街道柳町
The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
Earthen-walled storehouses with “namako”-style black-and-white siding and historical businesses line Yanagi-Machi. This stop along the Hokkoku Trail marks the point along the road that crosses the center of present-day Ueda City. Many of the buildings have been maintained to preserve the Edo-era atmosphere, while being put to use as popular eateries and a bakery. The distinct look of Yanagi-Machi (literally, “Willow Town”) has led it to be used as a location site for several movies.
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Telephone number is for the Ueda City Convention Bureau.
tel : +81(0)268-23-5408 上田観光コンベンション協会(Ueda Convention Bureau)
- By Train
- From Ueda Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), 15 min walk
- By Car
- From Ueda Sugadaira IC, 10 min
- 4-chome Chuo, Ueda 386-0012
- Uedajo Castle Ruin Park : Invincible Castle Famous for Twice Repulsing the Tokugawa Shogunate.
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Komoro Castle Ruins Kaikoen : Unusual "Castle in a Hole" with Beautifully Landscaped Grounds
- Ueda Mahoroba Youth Hostel in Bessho Onsen : "At-Home" Youth Hostel convenient to Bessho Onsen.
- Hanaya in Bessho Onsen : Traditional Japanese Construction Built by Master Craftsmen with Western Accents for a "Taisho Romance" Feel.
- Uematsuya Ryokan in Bessho Onsen : Friendly Ryokan in the Center of Bessho Onsen.
- Izumiya Ryokan in Reisenji Onsen : Simple Onsen Inn Secluded in the Hills in Reisenji Onsen
- Hotel Platon : City Hotel Amenities at Reasonable Prices with Onsen Baths.
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Kokuzo : Natural Yeast Artisan Bread Shop in a 150-Year Old Farmhouse.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Soba Kaya : Authentic Soba Noodles in an Edo-era Thatched Roof Building.
- Volunteer Guide Tours in Ueda : Have a Volunteer English Guide Show You Ueda's Castle Town!
- Silk Weaving Experience (Ueda Tsumugi) : Sit at a 100-Year Old Loom and Make Your Own Ueda Silk Weaving.
- Shioda Plain Temple Walk : Take in the Historical Temples around Bessho Onsen with this 1-Day Tour.
- Zazen Meditation -- At Bessho Onsen's Historical Anraku-ji Temple : Attend a Zazen Meditation Session at Bessho Onsen’s Historical Anraku-Ji Temple.
- Hotto Stay Rural Visit : Rural Lifestyle Mini-Experience.