Unno-juku Post Town : 海野宿
Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
Post town renowned for the beauty of its streetscape, with a cherry and willow trees and a stone-lined water channel running down the middle, and the building facades decorated with wooden grilles and Unnojuku's distinct archictectural detail, the "Udatsu" raised shoulders of the buildings designed to keep fires from spreading (and meant to demonstrate the wealth of the owner). After the Edo era, many of the buildings continued to be used for growing silkworms adding an additional layer of heritage to the district. Every year on November 23rd a festival featuring a historical procession is held.
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Reservations :
- Not required(Telephone No.is for the Tomi City Tourism Assoc.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Free Parking. Unnojuku Musuem (tel# 0268-64-1000) and the Antique Toy Museum require payment. Their hours are 09:00-17:00 (-16:00 from Oct. to Dec.). Both are closed from 21-Dec through the end of Feb.
tel : +81(0)268-62-1111 東御市観光協会(Tomi Tourism Association) Official site
- By Train
- From Tanaka or Oya Station(Shinano Railway), 20 min by walk
- By Car
- From Tobu-Yunomaru IC, 10 min
- Moto-unno, Tomi 389-0518
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Komoro Castle Ruins Kaikoen : Unusual "Castle in a Hole" with Beautifully Landscaped Grounds
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Kita Yatsugatake Ropeway : Travel Through the Rarefied Air Of Northern Yatsugatake Mtn. in a 100-person Ropeway Car
- Nakadanasou in Komoro : Old-fashioned Inn, Favorite of Shimazaki Toson. A Quiet Retreat for Adults.
- Izumiya Ryokan in Reisenji Onsen : Simple Onsen Inn Secluded in the Hills in Reisenji Onsen
- Mountainside Tokiwakan in Komoro : Ride a Cable Car to an Above-The-Clouds Outdoor Onsen Bath.
- Ueda Mahoroba Youth Hostel in Bessho Onsen : "At-Home" Youth Hostel convenient to Bessho Onsen.
- Takamine Onsen "Lamp Inn" : Romantic “Oil Lamp”-themed inn located at 2000 m featuring a panoramic “Above-the-Clouds” Bath.
- Kokuzo : Natural Yeast Artisan Bread Shop in a 150-Year Old Farmhouse.
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Teisyaba Garden : Tea Time in a Community Flower Garden.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Volunteer Guide Tours in Ueda : Have a Volunteer English Guide Show You Ueda's Castle Town!
- Hotto Stay Rural Visit : Rural Lifestyle Mini-Experience.
- Shioda Plain Temple Walk : Take in the Historical Temples around Bessho Onsen with this 1-Day Tour.
- Silk Weaving Experience (Ueda Tsumugi) : Sit at a 100-Year Old Loom and Make Your Own Ueda Silk Weaving.
- Onsen-by-Cable-Car : Ride a Cable Car up to Tokiwakan’s Panorama Onsen Baths.