Mile-High Utsukushigahara Open Air Museum : 美ヶ原高原美術館
See Spectacular Artwork in a Spectacular Mountaintop Setting.
Mile-high art. Actually, more than a mile -- Utsukushigahara Open Air Museum is located at the top of a 2000m altitude on top of a plateau towering over the Matsumoto and Shiojiri valley. Fantastic artwork at a breathtaking location.
Utsukushigahara Open Air Museum is located on top of the 2000-meter tall Utsukushigahara plateau. The museum features outdoor sculptures by such famous international as Alexander Lieberman that are enhanced by the breathtaking background as well as the colorful wildflower foreground. Access is via the scenic "Venus Line", the road that traverses the plateau. "Venus" refers to an artifact from the prehistoric Jomon era found in the area. It is a figurine that, with a little imagination, is similar to the famous Venus de Milo statue. The Open Air Museum pays tribute to that heritage with one gallery dedicated to replications of famous Venus statues from the world.
- Hours :
- 9:00-17:00 (last entrance 16:30)
- Date(s) :
- Open daily from late Apr. to mid-Nov. (Actual dates vary by yar)
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 1000 (800 for high school and university students, 700 yen for middle and elementary age). Children with adults free on Saturdays.
- Time Required :
- 1 hr+
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- (English Pamphlet available.)
- Luggage Storage :
If going by car, the museum is best enjoyed in conjunction with a drive on the Venus Line. Restaurant and gift shop on the premises.
Coin lockers available.
tel : +81(0)268-86-2331 fax : +81(0)268-86-2217 Official site
- By Train
- From Matsumoto Station(JR Shinonoi Line), Alpico Bus from Matsumoto Bus Terminal to Utsukushigahara Kogen Bijutsukan, 1 runsper day, 1 hour 40 min., daily from early to mi August
- By Car
- From Okaya IC, 60 min. via Wada Pass
From Tobu-Yunomaru IC, 70 min. via Takeshi Visitors Center.
Take Route 81 -> Route 152 -> Route 62.
Either way, GPS navigation system highly recommended.
- Utsukushigahara Kogen Kamihoniri Takeshi, Ueda 386-0507
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Honjin Iwanami-ke Museum : Edo-Era Traveler's Lodge with the Nakasendo's Best Garden
- Suwa Taisha(Grand Shrine) Shimosha Akimiya : One of the four Grand Shrines of Suwa, Featuring an Ancient 800-Year Old Tree and Colossal Straw Rope
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Saito Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen : Modern High-Rise Onsen Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen.
- Tobira Onsen Myojinkan : A solitary inn tucked into the foothills at the 1050m level of the Utsukushigahara Plateau. Relais & Châteaux member.
- Izumiya Ryokan in Reisenji Onsen : Simple Onsen Inn Secluded in the Hills in Reisenji Onsen
- Hotel Saginoyu at Lake Suwa : Classic Luxury at Suwa's Original Lakeside Hotel, with Distinct Amber-Colored Onsen Water.
- Uematsuya Ryokan in Bessho Onsen : Friendly Ryokan in the Center of Bessho Onsen.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Hikari-ya Nishi : Macrobiotic Fine French Dining in a Remodeled 120-Year Old Storehouse.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Hotto Stay Rural Visit : Rural Lifestyle Mini-Experience.
- Zazen Meditation -- At Bessho Onsen's Historical Anraku-ji Temple : Attend a Zazen Meditation Session at Bessho Onsen’s Historical Anraku-Ji Temple.
- Shioda Plain Temple Walk : Take in the Historical Temples around Bessho Onsen with this 1-Day Tour.
- Visit to Nagato Ranch Dairy Farm : Make Ice Cream, Butter and More at this Working Dairy Farm.
- Crafts Fair Matsumoto : Browse Japan’s Premier Outdoor Arts & Crafts Fair.