Activities - Activities
Guided Tour of Matsumoto Castle
Matsumoto Castle : 松本城
Tour National Treasure Matsumoto Castle with the Helpful ALSA Guides.
Take a tour of arguably Japan's coolest castle, Matsumoto-jo, with a friendly, English-speaking volunteer guide.
ALSA, the Alps Language Service Association, provides free tours of Matsumoto Castle. The castle forms the focal point of Matsumoto City, which developed as a castle town around it. Built in the 16th Century, the castle has been maintained to its original form and has been designated as a National Treasure. With all of its history and the intricacies of its construction, it is helpful to have a knowledgeable English-speaker guide you. Let ALSA enhance your experience and appreciation of Matsumoto Castle!
- Hours :
- Castle hours: 08:30-17:00 (Last Entrance 16:30; Closes later during Golden Week and Summer)
ALSA hours: 10:00-15:00 or by appointment
- Date(s) :
- Castle: closed on 12/29-12/31
ALSA: daily except April 29 – May 5, Aug. 11 – 17 and Dec. 28 – Jan. 9, Other tours by appointment
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Castle Entrance 610 (300 for elementary and middle school students); ALSA's services are volunteer.
- Reservations :
- Not required(Reservation is accepted all year around.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (Guides in languages other than English can be arranged. (Minimum 2 weeks advanced notice required.))
- Luggage Storage :
ALSA guides are located at the waiting area by the Black Gate entrance on the castle's south side.
tel : +81(0)90-9669-3454 fax : +81(0)263-47-3454 Official site
- By Train
- From Matsumoto Station(JR Chuo Line), From Matsumoto Station's main exit, go northeast on the road to the left of the McDonald's 350m to the main street and turn left. Proceed north to the castle, 550m (total 15 min on foot).
- By Car
- From Matsumoto IC, Take Route 158 east 2.6km to "T" (Chuo 2-chome signal) and turn left. Proceed 400m to the castle. (total 15 min)
- 4-1,Marunouchi,Matsumoto ,390-0873
- Sightseeing Spots
- Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
- Nawate Dori (street) in Matsumoto City : Frog Street -- Matsumoto's Edo Era-themed Shopping Street
- Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Ishii Miso Factory : Matsumoto’s Famous Maker of Aged Miso
- Matsumoto Marunouchi Hotel : Hotel Located Steps from Matsumoto Castle in the City's Historical and Cultural Heart.
- Candela Guest House in Matsumoto : Hideaway Located in a Remodeled Miso Warehouse 5 min from Matsumoto Castle.
- Matsumoto's Ryokan (Hotel) Marumo : "Dozo" Storehouse-styled Inn Steeped in Matsumoto's Castle Town Ambience.
- Matsumoto's Nunoya Ryokan : Wooden Inn in Central Matsumoto, Featured in Lonely Planet
- Hotel New Station Matsumoto : Hometown-Favorite Business Hotel next to Matsumoto Station.
- Bakery Cafe SWEET in Nawate : Matsumoto's Old-Time Bakery Cafe.
- Hikari-ya Nishi : Macrobiotic Fine French Dining in a Remodeled 120-Year Old Storehouse.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Kurassic-kan : Coffee Shop in a Storehouse Built in 1888, With a Japanese Garden.
- 'Temari' Handball Workshop : A Symbol of Matsumoto, Make a Temari Ball as a Momento of your Stay.
- Soba Noodle Making in Matsumoto : Make (then Eat!) Soba at this Premier Noodle Shop 2 Minutes from Matsumoto Castle.
- Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival : Hear World-renowned Musicians from across the Globe Perform in Matsumoto.
- Crafts Fair Matsumoto : Browse Japan’s Premier Outdoor Arts & Crafts Fair.
- Appreciating Ukiyoe Wood Block Print Art : Rotating Displays of Japan’s Largest Collection of Ukiyoe Woodblock Prints.