Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : 国宝 松本城
One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
Built at the end of the 16th Century, Matsumoto Castle is Japan's oldest with a 5-story main keep. The castle has been carefully preserved to the way it was back in the Warring States era. With both defensive armaments and a romantic moon-viewing tower, the castle depicts an age of transition from constant wars to one of peace. Featuring cherry-tree lined moats swarming with koi and birds and the Northern Alps visible in the distance, the castle and its grounds are a popular symbol of Matsumoto. Entrance to the central grounds and main keep is for a fee.
- Hours :
- 8:30-17:00 (Last Entrance 16:30)
- Date(s) :
- Closed from 29 Dec. to 31 Dec. Otherwise, open daily.
- Entrance Price :
- Entrance to castle and inner grounds, 610 per adult, 300 for middle and elementary school students. Group discounts available.
- Time Required :
- 45 min-1 hour
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English-speaking volunteer guides available (ALSA). Some signage has English.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Castle stairs are extremely steep.
tel : +81(0)263-32-2902 松本城管理事務所(Matsumoto Castle Administrative Office) fax : +81(0)263-32-2904 Official site
- By Train
- From Matsumoto Station(JR Shinonoi Line), 1km, Approx. 15 min on foot.
By bus, take the Town Sneaker North Course from Oshiro-Guchi exit and get off at Matsumotojo-Shiyakushomae stop (10 min)
- By Car
- From Matsumoto IC, via Route 158 toward Matsumoto City Center, approx. 3km (15 min)
- 4-1 Marunouchi, Matsumoto 390-0873
- Nawate Dori (street) in Matsumoto City : Frog Street -- Matsumoto's Edo Era-themed Shopping Street
- Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Izutsu Wine (Winery) : Winery with a View of the Northern Alps, Surrounded by Picturesque Vineyards
- Matsumoto Marunouchi Hotel : Hotel Located Steps from Matsumoto Castle in the City's Historical and Cultural Heart.
- Candela Guest House in Matsumoto : Hideaway Located in a Remodeled Miso Warehouse 5 min from Matsumoto Castle.
- Matsumoto's Ryokan (Hotel) Marumo : "Dozo" Storehouse-styled Inn Steeped in Matsumoto's Castle Town Ambience.
- Matsumoto's Nunoya Ryokan : Wooden Inn in Central Matsumoto, Featured in Lonely Planet
- Hotel New Station Matsumoto : Hometown-Favorite Business Hotel next to Matsumoto Station.
- Bakery Cafe SWEET in Nawate : Matsumoto's Old-Time Bakery Cafe.
- Hikari-ya Nishi : Macrobiotic Fine French Dining in a Remodeled 120-Year Old Storehouse.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Kurassic-kan : Coffee Shop in a Storehouse Built in 1888, With a Japanese Garden.
- Guided Tour of Matsumoto Castle : Tour National Treasure Matsumoto Castle with the Helpful ALSA Guides.
- 'Temari' Handball Workshop : A Symbol of Matsumoto, Make a Temari Ball as a Momento of your Stay.
- Soba Noodle Making in Matsumoto : Make (then Eat!) Soba at this Premier Noodle Shop 2 Minutes from Matsumoto Castle.
- Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival : Hear World-renowned Musicians from across the Globe Perform in Matsumoto.
- Ishii Miso Factory : Matsumoto’s Famous Maker of Aged Miso