Former Mikasa Hotel : 旧三笠ホテル
Karuizawa's Landmark Japanese-built “Western” Hotel
The Mikasa Hotel was built in 1905, the middle of the Meiji era when Western-styled architecture was just starting to enter Japan. It was completely designed and built by Japanese craftsmen using Western design and methods, one of the finest examples of its time. Owing to its careful preservation and particularly unique stairways and handrails, the hotel was designated as a National Treasure.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed Dec 28 thru Jan 4th.
- Entrance Price :
- Adults 400, Children 200
- Time Required :
- 20-40 minutes
tel : +81(0)267-42-7072 Official site
- By Train
- From Karuizawa Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), From the Kita-Guchi (north) exit, take the Kusa-Karu Bus from platform #2 (bound for Kusatsu), Mikasa stop (approx. 8 minutes), then 5 minutes on foot.
- By Car
- From Usui-Karuizawa IC, 25 min
- 1339-342 Karuizawa, Karuizawa, Kitasaku 389-0103
- St. Paul Catholic Church : Romantic Chapel Vestige of Karuizawa’s Missionary Roots
- Shaw Memorial Church : Oldest Church in Karuizawa Memorializing the Resort Town’s Founding Father
- Kyu-Karuizawa : The Iconic Main Street of Old Karuizawa.
- Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza : Vast Outlet Shopping Mall in Nagano’s Great Outdoors
- Shiraito Waterfall : 70 meter-Wide Sylvan Waterfall
- Karuizawa Prince Hotels : More Than Just a Place to Stay, a Myriad of Activities to Enjoy.
- Candytuft : Small, Family-run Pension in the Heart of Sylvan Karuizawa.
- Hoshinoya Karuizawa : “Discover the Ultimate Japan Experience”
- Karuizawa's Cottage inn Log-Cabin : Log Cabin in the Woods -- Best Way to Enjoy Karuizawa's Nature.
- Takamine Onsen "Lamp Inn" : Romantic “Oil Lamp”-themed inn located at 2000 m featuring a panoramic “Above-the-Clouds” Bath.
- Akaneya Coffee : Cafe Where Every Menu Item is an Original.
- Sekisyo-Chaya : Japanese Eatery Close to Karuizawa Sta. with Fresh Fish Straight from the Sea of Japan, Local Poultry and Wide Variety of Sake.
- Karuizawa Torimikura : Poultry Restaurant boasting Local-Sourcing and Local-Cuisine.
- Karuizawa Meiji-tei : Unbearably Delicious Sauce Katsu-don.
- Shabu-shabu Log-tei : Wagyu dining in Karuizawa's forest.
- Glass Blowing in Karuizawa : Try a New Experience While Visiting Nagano – Glassblowing!
- Flying Squirrel Watching Tour : Twilight Forest Walk to See Flying Squirrels.
- Curling Lesson 60 : Try Your Hand at Curling at Japan's Largest Year-Round Curling Center.
- Jam-Making and Jam Factory Tour : Learn How to Make Jam From a Professional
- Onsen-by-Cable-Car: Hishino Onsen Tokiwakan : Ride a Cable Car up to Tokiwakan’s Panorama Onsen Baths.