Shaw Memorial Church : 軽井沢ショー記念礼拝堂
Oldest Church in Karuizawa Memorializing the Resort Town’s Founding Father
English pastor A.C. Shaw is known as the founder of Karuizawa as a resort popular with Tokyoites trying to escape summertime heat. The Shaw Memorial Church was built in 1895, making it Karuizawa’s first church. Pastor Shaw’s summer home has been reconstructed behind the church.
- Hours :
- Open daily except for when in private use (weddings, etc.). Masses held every Sunday at 10:00.
- Entrance Price :
- Offerings accepted.
- Time Required :
- 20-30 min
tel : +81(0)267-42-4740 Official site
- By Train
- From Karuizawa Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), From the Kita-Guchi (north) exit, take the Kusa-Karu Bus from platform #4 (Loop Bus, Inner Route), Kyukaruizawa stop (approx. 5 min) then 10-15 min on foot.
- By Car
- From Usui-Karuizawa IC, 20 min (No parking on the premises)
- 57-1 Karuizawa, Karuizawa, Kitasaku 389-0102
- St. Paul Catholic Church : Romantic Chapel Vestige of Karuizawa’s Missionary Roots
- Kyu-Karuizawa : The Iconic Main Street of Old Karuizawa.
- Former Mikasa Hotel : Karuizawa's Landmark Japanese-built “Western” Hotel
- Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza : Vast Outlet Shopping Mall in Nagano’s Great Outdoors
- Shiraito Waterfall : 70 meter-Wide Sylvan Waterfall
- Karuizawa Prince Hotels : More Than Just a Place to Stay, a Myriad of Activities to Enjoy.
- Candytuft : Small, Family-run Pension in the Heart of Sylvan Karuizawa.
- Highland Inn ease : Pension in Southern Karuizawa Popular With Foreigners.
- Karuizawa's Cottage inn Log-Cabin : Log Cabin in the Woods -- Best Way to Enjoy Karuizawa's Nature.
- Hoshinoya Karuizawa : “Discover the Ultimate Japan Experience”
- Akaneya Coffee : Cafe Where Every Menu Item is an Original.
- Sekisyo-Chaya : Japanese Eatery Close to Karuizawa Sta. with Fresh Fish Straight from the Sea of Japan, Local Poultry and Wide Variety of Sake.
- Karuizawa Meiji-tei : Unbearably Delicious Sauce Katsu-don.
- Karuizawa Torimikura : Poultry Restaurant boasting Local-Sourcing and Local-Cuisine.
- Sasa : Popular Soba and other Japanese Dishes at Reasonable Prices.
- Glass Blowing in Karuizawa : Try a New Experience While Visiting Nagano – Glassblowing!
- Flying Squirrel Watching Tour : Twilight Forest Walk to See Flying Squirrels.
- Curling Lesson 60 : Try Your Hand at Curling at Japan's Largest Year-Round Curling Center.
- Jam-Making and Jam Factory Tour : Learn How to Make Jam From a Professional
- Onsen-by-Cable-Car : Ride a Cable Car up to Tokiwakan’s Panorama Onsen Baths.