Shioda Plain Temple Walk
Shioda Plain : 別所温泉・塩田平
Take in the Historical Temples around Bessho Onsen with this 1-Day Tour.
10km walk connecting the ancient (dating back to the Kamakura Period 1192-1333) temples of Ueda City’s Shioda Plain. Finish at Bessho Onsen for a soak in a hot spring bath.
Bessho Onsen is nicknamed the Kamakura of Nagano, referring to the city that was the capital of Japan from 1192 to 1333. During this period, Bessho Onsen was the home of the governor of Shinshu Province (today’s Nagano Prefecture) and the construction of Kamakura-influenced temples flourished in the area.
Starting at Shioda-machi Station on the Bessho Line, the walk winds through farmland and back roads at the base of Mt. Tokko and ends at Bessho Onsen. Along the way, it passes temples with classical 3-story pagodas, one with a thatched roof (very unusual for a Buddhist temple), and the north-facing Kitamuki Kannon (most face south but Kitamuki faces north to the venerable Zenkoji Temple in Nagano City). Art museums and small cafes dot the path as well. To finish your tour, have a soak in one (or more!) of the 4 public baths in Bessho Onsen.
For a full description of the walk complete with walking directions, see “Hiking, Walking & Biking Nagano – 16 Tours in Ueda City and Environs” by Peter Ninnes, chapters 6 (Bessho Onsen Walk) and 7 (Shioda Plains Walk). Downloadable as an E-book at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/240960.
(Pictures courtesy Peter Ninnes)
- Date(s) :
- Walkable year-round. Dress warmly in winter.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Entrance fees at temples and museums apply.
- Time Required :
- Reservations :
- Not required(not required)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- (Limited English signage. )
Using the above-mentioned guidebook highly recommended to understand the significance of the temples. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/240960
Above address is for the starting point, Shiodamachi Station.
tel : +81(0)268-23-5408 上田観光コンベンション協会
- By Train
- From Ueda Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), Take the Bessho Line to Shiodamachi Station (33 min.).
- By Car
- From Ueda Sugadaira IC, Go southeast on Route 144 down towards central Ueda. At Route 18 (Chuo Higashi signal), turn right and in 700m, turn left (Chuo Kita signal). At Ueda Station (Ueda Station Oshiro Exit signal), turn left and park your car to take the train. (4.4km, 10 min. to Ueda Station).
- 40-2 Nakano, Ueda 386-1325
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Ueda Mahoroba Youth Hostel in Bessho Onsen : "At-Home" Youth Hostel convenient to Bessho Onsen.
- Hanaya in Bessho Onsen : Traditional Japanese Construction Built by Master Craftsmen with Western Accents for a "Taisho Romance" Feel.
- Uematsuya Ryokan in Bessho Onsen : Friendly Ryokan in the Center of Bessho Onsen.
- Izumiya Ryokan in Reisenji Onsen : Simple Onsen Inn Secluded in the Hills in Reisenji Onsen
- Saito Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen : Modern High-Rise Onsen Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Kokuzo : Natural Yeast Artisan Bread Shop in a 150-Year Old Farmhouse.
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Daikokuya : Kamiyamada Onsen's Tiny Cafeteria Famous for Their Ramen and Garlic-Sauce Tonkatsu Pork.
- Zazen Meditation -- At Bessho Onsen's Historical Anraku-ji Temple : Attend a Zazen Meditation Session at Bessho Onsen’s Historical Anraku-Ji Temple.
- Silk Weaving Experience (Ueda Tsumugi) : Sit at a 100-Year Old Loom and Make Your Own Ueda Silk Weaving.
- Volunteer Guide Tours in Ueda : Have a Volunteer English Guide Show You Ueda's Castle Town!
- Hotto Stay Rural Visit : Rural Lifestyle Mini-Experience.
- Fruit Picking at Kamiyamada's Crown Farm : Eat Fresh Grapes and Apples You Pick Yourself at this Foreigner-friendly, Family-run Orchard in Kamiyamada.