Sightseeing Spots - Cuisine
Ishii Miso Factory : 石井味噌
Matsumoto’s Famous Maker of Aged Miso
Founded in 1868, Ishii Miso makes miso the way they always have – aging it in cedar barrels for 3 years. They pride themselves in only using soybeans and rice grown in Japan as well as local spring water. Factory tours are available as well as their “Factory-Direct” lunch at their restaurant.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed around the New Years holiday.
- Entrance Price :
- Entrance to the miso brewery and miso soup tasting free.
- Reservations :
- Capacity :
For large numbers of people, the party may have to be split into 2 groups and take turns touring the brewery (e.g. a group of 300 guests will be split into 2 smaller groups of 150 people).
tel : +81(0)263-32-0534 fax : +81(0)263-36-3033 Official site
- By Train
- From Matsumoto Station(JR Shinonoi Line), Take the "Town Sneaker" bus "Higashi" (East) Course to the Shimin-geijutsukan stop (7 min), then 5 min on foot.
- By Car
- From Matsumoto IC, 20 min
- Sightseeing Spots
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
- Nawate Dori (street) in Matsumoto City : Frog Street -- Matsumoto's Edo Era-themed Shopping Street
- Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Matsumoto's Nunoya Ryokan : Wooden Inn in Central Matsumoto, Featured in Lonely Planet
- Matsumoto's Ryokan (Hotel) Marumo : "Dozo" Storehouse-styled Inn Steeped in Matsumoto's Castle Town Ambience.
- Matsumoto's Hotel Buena Vista : Matsumoto's Landmark City Hotel.
- Matsumoto Marunouchi Hotel : Hotel Located Steps from Matsumoto Castle in the City's Historical and Cultural Heart.
- Hotel New Station Matsumoto : Hometown-Favorite Business Hotel next to Matsumoto Station.
- Ishii Miso Restaurant : Limited Availability (10 Servings per Day) Miso-based Lunch Straight from the 'Kura' (Maker).
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Kurassic-kan : Coffee Shop in a Storehouse Built in 1888, With a Japanese Garden.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival : Hear World-renowned Musicians from across the Globe Perform in Matsumoto.
- Crafts Fair Matsumoto : Browse Japan’s Premier Outdoor Arts & Crafts Fair.
- 'Temari' Handball Workshop : A Symbol of Matsumoto, Make a Temari Ball as a Momento of your Stay.
- Soba Noodle Making in Matsumoto : Make (then Eat!) Soba at this Premier Noodle Shop 2 Minutes from Matsumoto Castle.
- Guided Tour of Matsumoto Castle : Tour National Treasure Matsumoto Castle with the Helpful ALSA Guides.