Sightseeing Spots - Sightseeing
Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : 松本市「中町通り」
Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
Matsumoto is a castle town dating back over 400 years. Nakamachi is one of the original main commercial streets and is lined by earthen-walled storehouse-like buildings with traditional contrasting black and white-colored facades. Today the buildings house craft shops, art galleries, restaurants and other unique shops. The heart of Nakamachi is Kurashiku-Kan, a remodeled storehouse open to the public. Farmers Markets are held there holiday and weekend mornings.
- Hours :
- Hours vary by shop
- Date(s) :
- Dates vary by shop.
- Entrance Price :
- No cost to stroll along the street.
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- (English pamphlet available.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
tel : +81(0)263-34-3000 松本市役所観光温泉課（Matsumoto City Office) fax : +81(0)263-34-3049 Official site
- By Train
- From Matsumoto Station(JR Shinonoi Line), 10 min walk
- By Car
- From Matsumoto IC, 15 min (15km)
- Sightseeing Spots
- Nawate Dori (street) in Matsumoto City : Frog Street -- Matsumoto's Edo Era-themed Shopping Street
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
- Ishii Miso Factory : Matsumoto’s Famous Maker of Aged Miso
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Matsumoto's Nunoya Ryokan : Wooden Inn in Central Matsumoto, Featured in Lonely Planet
- Matsumoto's Ryokan (Hotel) Marumo : "Dozo" Storehouse-styled Inn Steeped in Matsumoto's Castle Town Ambience.
- Matsumoto Marunouchi Hotel : Hotel Located Steps from Matsumoto Castle in the City's Historical and Cultural Heart.
- Matsumoto's Hotel Buena Vista : Matsumoto's Landmark City Hotel.
- Candela Guest House in Matsumoto : Hideaway Located in a Remodeled Miso Warehouse 5 min from Matsumoto Castle.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Kurassic-kan : Coffee Shop in a Storehouse Built in 1888, With a Japanese Garden.
- Bakery Cafe SWEET in Nawate : Matsumoto's Old-Time Bakery Cafe.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Hikari-ya Nishi : Macrobiotic Fine French Dining in a Remodeled 120-Year Old Storehouse.
- Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival : Hear World-renowned Musicians from across the Globe Perform in Matsumoto.
- 'Temari' Handball Workshop : A Symbol of Matsumoto, Make a Temari Ball as a Momento of your Stay.
- Soba Noodle Making in Matsumoto : Make (then Eat!) Soba at this Premier Noodle Shop 2 Minutes from Matsumoto Castle.
- Guided Tour of Matsumoto Castle : Tour National Treasure Matsumoto Castle with the Helpful ALSA Guides.
- Crafts Fair Matsumoto : Browse Japan’s Premier Outdoor Arts & Crafts Fair.