Honjin Iwanami-ke Museum : 本陣 岩波家
Edo-Era Traveler's Lodge with the Nakasendo's Best Garden
The Iwanami House was the Honjin, the place where the highest ranked travelers stayed at the Shimosuwa-juku post town, located at the intersection of the Nakasendo and Koshu Roads. Half of the original structure has been preserved but it is the garden, with borrowed vistas of the adjacent Akinomiya Shrine, that is most famous. With azaleas in the spring, irises in summer, and brilliant fall colors in autumn, the garden is known as the most beautiful of all along the Nakasendo. Visitors can see what an Edo-era garden was like.
- Hours :
- 9:00-18:00 (-17:00 from Nov. to Mar.)
- Date(s) :
- Open daily Apr. to Oct.
- Entrance Price :
- Adults 400, children 200 (discounts for groups of 20 or more)
- Reservations :
- Not required
tel : +81(0)266-28-7055
- By Train
- From Shimosuwa Station(JR Chuo Line), 15 min walk
- By Car
- From Okaya IC, via Route 20 towards Kami-Suwa. Approx. 20 min.
- 3492 Yokomachi, Shimosuwa, Suwa 393-0012
- Suwa Taisha(Grand Shrine) Shimosha Akimiya : One of the four Grand Shrines of Suwa, Featuring an Ancient 800-Year Old Tree and Colossal Straw Rope
- Lake Suwa Geyser Center : Hot Spring Geyser and 7-Spring Craters
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Okaya Silk Museum “Silk Fact Okaya” : Silk Museum Adjacent to an Actual Operating Silk Factory
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Chosenkaku Kameya in Shimo-Suwa : 300-Year Old Inn With Famous Garden and Bath, Adjacent to Akinomiya Suwa Grand Shrine.
- Hotel Beniya at Lake Suwa : Hotel Offering a Choice of Rooms, Meals and Onsen Baths.
- Aburaya Ryokan at Lake Suwa : Lakeside Onsen Hotel Known for Friendly Hospitality.
- RAKO Hananoi Hotel at Lake Suwa : Luxurious, Relaxing Lakeside Hotel.
- B&B Megu House ZuKu in Suwa : Stay with the Itoh Family at their Typical Japanese House.
- Restaurant CLASUWA : Suwa Lakeside Stylish Restaurant.
- Sen no Mizu : Heart-warming Nostalgic Home-style Cooking.
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Ajari Cafe : Home of the Popular Ajari Burger.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Music Box Workshop : Discover the Wonders of Music Boxes
- Watchmaking : Assemble a Watch in Suwa, the Switzerland of Japan.
- Lake Suwa Fireworks Display : Watch Nagano’s Biggest Fireworks Displays (One of the Most Famous in Japan).
- Sake Tasting at the Venerable Masumi Brewery : Sample Sake at Nagano’s Premier Brewery, Birthplace of Yeast Number Seven.
- Wintertime Family Fun at a Snow Park : Exclusive Snow Park 1 Minute Walk from this Shirakaba Lake Hotel.