Sake Tasting at the Venerable Masumi Brewery
Miyasaka Brewing Co., Ltd. : 宮坂醸造
Sample Sake at Nagano’s Premier Brewery, Birthplace of Yeast Number Seven.
Miyasaka Brewery, maker of Masumi Sake, is one of the most historical and most highly regarded by sake appraisal competitions (both domestic and international) of all the sake breweries in Nagano. The brewery's Cella Masumi is an elegant shop where you can taste Masumi's sake.
Their international staff is happy to answer e-mail inquiries in English, French, German or Chinese. See the Contact Us page of Masumi’s website.
The Miyasaka Brewery is one of a handful of sake breweries around Lake Suwa that make the area such a hotbed for sake making. Their Masumi label is recognized not only in Nagano Prefecture and throughout the nation, but internationally as well. And they have the distinction of being the birthplace of "Nanago" -- the Number 7 yeast first identified in 1946 when Masumi swept Japan's Sake Appraisal Awards. Today, 60% of the breweries throughout Japan use this yeast.
The brewery’s English and French websites include thorough explanations of the brewing process and the differences of the various types of sake, and the brewery's international staff can answer specific questions in fluent and knowledgeable English, French or German. Feel free to send your inquiry via the Contact Us page on the Masumi website.
For others, the Cella Masumi shop is one of the most elegant sake shops in the world. Here you can try tasting the award winning Masumi sakes.
- Hours :
- 9:00-18:00 (Cella Masumi)
- Date(s) :
- Open Year-Round (Cella Masumi)
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Sake Tasting at Cella Masumi is 320.
- Time Required :
- 30 min
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Amex
- Reservations :
- Required, Not required(Not required for shop visits.
Contact in advance for groups over ten. )
- Foreign Languages :
- English, Chinese, German, French (Communication via e-mail in foreign languages is welcome. However, foreign language-speaking staff not always on the premises.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Sake tasting price includes a shot glass which allows you to taste 5-6 varieties of sake.
Large tour buses cannot be accommodated.
tel : +81(0)266-52-6161 fax : +81(0)266-53-4477 Official site
- By Train
- From Kamisuwa Station(JR Chuo Line), Go south on Route 20 1km. (13 min. on foot)
- By Car
- From Suwa IC, Go straight to Route 20 and turn left. 5km (10 min.).
- 1-16 Motomachi, Suwa 392-8686
- Katakurakan Bath House : Historical Roman-themed Bath House
- Lake Suwa Geyser Center : Hot Spring Geyser and 7-Spring Craters
- Suwa Grand Shrine Kamisuwa Honmiya (Main Hall) : Historical Shrine of the Great Pillars Festival
- Suwa Garasunosato (Glass Center) : Japan's Largest Glass Art-Related Activities Center
- Suwa Taisha(Grand Shrine) Shimosha Akimiya : One of the four Grand Shrines of Suwa, Featuring an Ancient 800-Year Old Tree and Colossal Straw Rope
- Aburaya Ryokan at Lake Suwa : Lakeside Onsen Hotel Known for Friendly Hospitality.
- Hotel Beniya at Lake Suwa : Hotel Offering a Choice of Rooms, Meals and Onsen Baths.
- B&B Megu House ZuKu in Suwa : Stay with the Itoh Family at their Typical Japanese House.
- RAKO Hananoi Hotel at Lake Suwa : Luxurious, Relaxing Lakeside Hotel.
- Chosenkaku Kameya in Shimo-Suwa : 300-Year Old Inn With Famous Garden and Bath, Adjacent to Akinomiya Suwa Grand Shrine.
- Sen no Mizu : Heart-warming Nostalgic Home-style Cooking.
- Restaurant CLASUWA : Suwa Lakeside Stylish Restaurant.
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Ajari Cafe : Home of the Popular Ajari Burger.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Lake Suwa Fireworks Display : Watch Nagano’s Biggest Fireworks Displays (One of the Most Famous in Japan).
- Watchmaking : Assemble a Watch in Suwa, the Switzerland of Japan.
- Music Box Workshop : Discover the Wonders of Music Boxes
- Wintertime Family Fun at a Snow Park : Exclusive Snow Park 1 Minute Walk from this Shirakaba Lake Hotel.
- Outdoor Family Fun at a Lakeside Amusement Park : Amusement Park and Adventure in the Great Outdoors Beside Shirakaba Lake.