Daio Wasabi Farm : 大王わさび農場
Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
Wasabi - that ingredient ubiquitous to all sushi restaurants. The Daio Wasabi Farm in Azumino is the largest wasabi grower in all of Japan. Wasabi requires pristine stream beds to grow, and Azumino is blessed with clear snow runoff from the Northern Alps
The picturesque farm features romantic water wheels along with the gravel stream beds the wasabi is grown in. The farm store sells wasabi-infused soft serve ice cream and croquettes, as well as other wasabi-flavored items. In the farm's kitchen, visitors can see as well learn how to make wasabi-based recipes.
- Hours :
- 09:00-17:20 from Mar. to Oct. and 09:00-16:30 from Nov. to Feb.
- Date(s) :
- Daily year-round.
- Entrance Price :
- Farm entrance Free. Wasabi Cooking Lesson, 1030 per person.
- Time Required :
- 30 min-2 hours
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- (English pamphlet available at the ticket office.)
- Luggage Storage :
Park entrance is available after hours as well, but the bathrooms and shops are closed.
- By Train
- From Hotaka Station(JR Oito Line), 10 min by taxi
- By Car
- From Azumino IC, Proceed straight from the exit, approx. 10 min.
- 1692 Hotaka, Azumino 399-8303
- Matsumoto City Museum of Art : Museum Featuring Works by Matsumoto's Favorite Daughter, World-Famous Yayoi Kusama.
- Nawate Dori (street) in Matsumoto City : Frog Street -- Matsumoto's Edo Era-themed Shopping Street
- Nakamachi Street in Matsumoto City : Matsumoto's Commercial Street with Distinctive Black & White Contrasting Storehouses
- Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Saito Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen : Modern High-Rise Onsen Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen.
- Hotel Shoho in Matsumoto's Utsukushigahara Onsen : Matsumoto City – Utsukushigahara Onsen’s Landmark Accommodation.
- Ryokan Sugimoto in Matsumoto's Utsukushigahara Onsen : 3-Story Wooden Inn featuring jazz music and folk craft touches.
- Tobira Onsen Myojinkan : A solitary inn tucked into the foothills at the 1050m level of the Utsukushigahara Plateau. Relais & Châteaux member.
- Hoshino Resorts KAI Matsumoto : Art-Filled Inn Featuring a Blend of Traditional and Modern Japanese Design.
- Hikari-ya Nishi : Macrobiotic Fine French Dining in a Remodeled 120-Year Old Storehouse.
- Hikari-ya Higashi : Fine Japanese Dining in a Stylishly Remodeled 130-Year-Old Storehouse.
- Say (Soan Annex Zama) in Nakamachi : Soan's Location in Matsumoto's Historical Nakamachi District.
- Marumo : Folkcraft-themed Coffee Shop for Coffee Enthusiasts.
- Kurassic-kan : Coffee Shop in a Storehouse Built in 1888, With a Japanese Garden.
- Outdoor sculptures : See Spectacular Artwork in a Spectacular Mountaintop Setting.
- Crafts Fair Matsumoto : Browse Japan’s Premier Outdoor Arts & Crafts Fair.
- Ishii Miso Factory : Matsumoto’s Famous Maker of Aged Miso
- Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival : Hear World-renowned Musicians from across the Globe Perform in Matsumoto.
- Guided Tour of Matsumoto Castle : Tour National Treasure Matsumoto Castle with the Helpful ALSA Guides.