Spicy Udon at Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada
Kohaku : 古波久(こはく)
Udon Noodles with the Nefariously Spicy Nezumi Daikon Radish.
Kohaku is an izakaya (pub) in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada that specializes in "Oshibori Udon". This local favorite uses the spicy Nezumi Daikon radish which is grated and squeezed ('shibori'). Miso paste is added to the juice to tame it down, and you dip the fat udon noodles in and eat. Kohaku serves oshibori udon in a big kettle and hangs it on a hook and guests sit around the 'irori' hearth for their meal.
Fields around Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada and neighboring Sakaki Village often have rocky soil which stunts the growth of the daikon radishes. The variety known as "nezumi daikon" ("nezumi" means 'mouse') is short and fat with a little tail, resembling its namesake. Perhaps due to their growth being stunted, nezumi daikon radish's spicy potency is enhanced.
Many restaurants in the area offer oshibori udon, but Kohaku is the most famous and its interior with the irori hearths provides a traditional Japanese setting.
- Hours :
- Monday~Saturday 18:00-23:00 (LO); Sunday 18:00-22:30 (LO)
Open for lunch May-Oct. 11:30-13:00(LO)
- Date(s) :
- Closed the first third and fifth Wednesdays of each month.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- ¥1,050 ～(lunch ¥900)
- Reservations :
- Not required(Recommended for groups.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- (English menu available. )
No parking, so if coming by car, better to use the parking lot at the Bunka Kaikan light (ask permission at the Tourism Hall across the street).
tel : +81(0)26-276-2787
- By Train
- From Togura Station(Shinano Railway), Walk out to Route 18 ('Togura Station' signal) and turn left. Walk south 250m to the next light ('Togura') and turn right on to Route 55. Continue for 900m crossing the bridge. At the "T", turn left and follow Route 77 for 750m to Omoide no Machi Dori street and proceed as per above.
- By Car
- From Sakaki IC, Take Route 91 down 1.4km to Route 18 and turn right. Proceed north 5.5km to Route 498 ('Togurakamiyamadaonsen' signal) and turn left. Cross bridge and at the Kamiyamada Bunka Kaikan signal (1km), turn right on to Chuo Dori Street. Turn left in 400m on to 思い出の街通り (Omoide no Machi Dori). Take the 2nd right and Kohaku will be on the next corner.
- 1-44-4 Kamiyamada Onsen, Chikuma 389-0821
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Chuo Hotel in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Family-run Traditional Inn with a Folk Art Theme
- Aritaya Ryokan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Traditional Family-Run 100-Year Old Wooden Inn
- Ogiwarakan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Medium-sized Ryokan Famous for Congenial Service
- Kamesei Ryokan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Friendly, Traditional Japanese Onsen Inn run by an American-Japanese couple.
- Yuzan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : One of the Major Ryokans in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada.
- Daikokuya : Kamiyamada Onsen's Tiny Cafeteria Famous for Their Ramen and Garlic-Sauce Tonkatsu Pork.
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Soba Kaya : Authentic Soba Noodles in an Edo-era Thatched Roof Building.
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Miso Soup Making Lesson : Learn How to Make That Most Basic of Japanese Cuisine: Miso Soup.
- Wafuku (Japanese Clothing) Tutorial : Curious How Traditional Japanese Clothing Works? Have Saito-san Explain All.
- Chikuma River Fish Cuisine : River Fish Cuisine at a Simple Shack along the Chikuma River.
- Fruit Picking at Kamiyamada's Crown Farm : Eat Fresh Grapes and Apples You Pick Yourself at this Foreigner-friendly, Family-run Orchard in Kamiyamada.
- Togura-Kamiyamada Onsen Geisha Show : 30-Minute Interactive Geisha Performance.