Sightseeing Spots - Sightseeing
St. Paul Catholic Church : 軽井沢聖パウロカトリック教会
Romantic Chapel Vestige of Karuizawa’s Missionary Roots
Karuizawa was popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s with the Western missionaries in Tokyo as a summer resort. One such missionary, Father Ward from England, built St. Paul Catholic Church in 1935. Designed by A. Raymond, the architecture is characterized by its steep, 3-sided roof with a large steeple and exposed concrete. St. Paul Catholic Church is a popular symbol of Kariuzawa.
- Hours :
- 7:00-18:00 (closes at sundown in the winter).
- Date(s) :
- Open daily. Entrance not possible during mass or when in use.
- Entrance Price :
- Offerings accepted.
tel : +81(0)267-42-2429 Official site
- By Train
- From Karuizawa Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), From the Kita-Guchi (north) exit, take the Kusa-Karu Bus from platform #4 (Loop Bus, Inner Route), Kyukaruizawa stop (approx. 5 min), then 6 min on foot.
- By Car
- From Usui-Karuizawa IC, 20 min (No parking on the premises.)
- 179,Karuizawa,Karuizawa, Kitasaku,389-0102
- Sightseeing Spots
- Kyu-Karuizawa : The Iconic Main Street of Old Karuizawa.
- Shaw Memorial Church : Oldest Church in Karuizawa Memorializing the Resort Town’s Founding Father
- Former Mikasa Hotel : Karuizawa's Landmark Japanese-built “Western” Hotel
- Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza : Vast Outlet Shopping Mall in Nagano’s Great Outdoors
- Shiraito Waterfall : 70 meter-Wide Sylvan Waterfall
- Places of Lodging
- Karuizawa Prince Hotels : More Than Just a Place to Stay, a Myriad of Activities to Enjoy.
- Candytuft : Small, Family-run Pension in the Heart of Sylvan Karuizawa.
- Karuizawa's Cottage inn Log-Cabin : Log Cabin in the Woods -- Best Way to Enjoy Karuizawa's Nature.
- Hoshinoya Karuizawa : “Discover the Ultimate Japan Experience”
- Takamine Onsen "Lamp Inn" : Romantic “Oil Lamp”-themed inn located at 2000 m featuring a panoramic “Above-the-Clouds” Bath.
- Akaneya Coffee : Cafe Where Every Menu Item is an Original.
- Sekisyo-Chaya : Japanese Eatery Close to Karuizawa Sta. with Fresh Fish Straight from the Sea of Japan, Local Poultry and Wide Variety of Sake.
- Karuizawa Meiji-tei : Unbearably Delicious Sauce Katsu-don.
- Karuizawa Torimikura : Poultry Restaurant boasting Local-Sourcing and Local-Cuisine.
- Sasa : Popular Soba and other Japanese Dishes at Reasonable Prices.
- Glass Blowing in Karuizawa : Try a New Experience While Visiting Nagano – Glassblowing!
- Flying Squirrel Watching Tour : Twilight Forest Walk to See Flying Squirrels.
- Curling Lesson 60 : Try Your Hand at Curling at Japan's Largest Year-Round Curling Center.
- Jam-Making and Jam Factory Tour : Learn How to Make Jam From a Professional
- Onsen-by-Cable-Car: Hishino Onsen Tokiwakan : Ride a Cable Car up to Tokiwakan’s Panorama Onsen Baths.