Search for Otari Village's Hidden Hamlet
Maki, Otari Village : 小谷村真木
Go Trekking to Find Otari Village’s Hamlet Only Accessible on Foot
Guided tour to Maki, a secret hamlet frozen in time and only reachable on foot.
Deep in the hills above Otari Village is a hamlet called Maki. It is not accessible by car. The only way in is a strenuous 1-1/2 hour hike. In the mid 1980's, the last of the original inhabitants moved out, deserting this small collection of thatched roof farmhouses. Now a group of people from an NPO that practices living off the land use the buildings. The settlement is frozen in time, with no modern structures or luxuries. The Otari Village Tourism Assoc. organizes guided tours to go see this secret village.
- Hours :
- Tour departs Minami Otari Station at 9:00 and returns at 15:30.
- Date(s) :
- Tours are offered Weekends in July and August, as well as in Mar. (Snowshoes to be provided as necessary during the winter.) *Verify dates in advance.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Time Required :
- 4-5 hours
- Reservations :
- Required(Required. Registration possible via the Otari Village Tourism Assoc. website.)
- # of Participants :
Limited English explanation. Strenuous 4-5 hour round trip hike involved so dress accordingly. Pack a lunch.
tel : +81(0)261-82-2233 小谷村観光連盟 fax : +81(0)261-82-2242 Official site
- By Train
- From Minami Otari Station(JR Oito Line), The station is the starting point.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Go west on Route 19, take the Olympic Toll Tunnel to Route 148 and turn right. Proceed to Minami Otari Station (total 55.1km, 70 min).
- Otsu, Chikuni, Otari, Kitaazumi 399-9422
- Tsugaike Nature Park : A 1900 meter Altitude Treasure-Trove of Alpine Flowers
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Hotel Espoir Misawa at Tsugaike : Adjacent to the Tsugaike ski slope At the base of Hakuba Mtn.
- Hotel Hakuba Berg House : Recently Remodeled Ski Lodge with Views of the Hakuba Mountain Range.
- Sierra Resort Hakuba : Hakuba's Luxury Resort Hotel with At-Home Relaxing Feel.
- Hotel La Neige Higashi-kan in Hakuba : Hakuba’s Small, Luxurious Hotel in the Woods.
- HAKUBA TOKYU HOTEL : International Resort Hotel Fashioned after a European Mountain Lodge, at Hakuba’s Mt. Happoone.
- Oni no Kuriya : Oven-steamed Rice Dishes at a Road Station with Onsen.
- Kikyoya : Simply Hakuba's Best Sushi.
- Happo Bijin : One Bowl Is All It Takes to Totally Enjoy Hakuba: Go-Tochi (Local) Ramen.
- The Beach Bar : Southern Tropical Beach-Themed Bar in the Hakuba's Wadano neighborhood.
- Ohyokkuri Happo Honten : Grandma's Hakuba Homestyle Cooking.
- 'Kanjiki' Snow Shoes Making Workshop & Hike : Make a Bit of Nagano’s Deep Snow Heritage: Kanjiki Traditional Snow Shoes.
- Alpine Yoga : Yoga Training in the Midst of the Hakuba Mountains.
- Hiking to Happo-ike Pond : Take in the Stunning Views of Happo Pond High Up in the Hakuba Range.
- Hiking to Togakushi's Giant Cedar Trees : Nature’s Power Awaits You at the Massive Cedar Trees Lining the Path to ‘Okusha’.
- Barrel Bath at Rinrinkan : Build a Fire to Heat the Water for your own Barrel Bath.