'Kanjiki' Snow Shoes Making Workshop & Hike
Otari Village : 小谷村
Make a Bit of Nagano’s Deep Snow Heritage: Kanjiki Traditional Snow Shoes.
Learn how to make 'kanjiki' (traditional Japanese snow shoes) in the tiny, deep-snow country village of Otari. This is a "winter survival technique", Japan-style.
Otari Village is deep snow country. People living here have traditionally gotten around in the winter by wearing 'kanjiki' -- Japan's traditional version of snow shoes. The village's Tourism Association offers kanjiki-making workshops where a village craftsman shares his knowledge of how to make them. Visitors can experience making their own pair of kanjiki to take with them. Optional kanjiki (snow shoe) hiking tours also available.
- Hours :
- Program starts at 9:00 and finishes at 11:50.
- Date(s) :
- Programs offered Weekends in Feb.and Mar. (verification required)
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Time Required :
- 2.5 hours
- Reservations :
- Required(Required via telephone, fax or e-mail. Contact with your name, telephone number, address, requested date.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
Instruction in Japanese.
tel : +81(0)261-82-2233 小谷村観光連盟 fax : +81(0)261-82-2242
- By Train
- From Minami Otari Station(JR Oito Line), 5 min. on foot
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, go west 16.8km on Route 19 to Route 148 (Olympic Toll Tunnel). Proceed 24.6km to Route 148 and turn right. Go north 17.7km to Route 114. Go northwest 2.2km to the Yamatsubasa Center.
- 131 Otari Village Hall Hei, Naka-Otari, Otari, Kitazumi 399-9421
- Tsugaike Nature Park : A 1900 meter Altitude Treasure-Trove of Alpine Flowers
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Hotel Espoir Misawa at Tsugaike : Adjacent to the Tsugaike ski slope At the base of Hakuba Mtn.
- Hotel Hakuba Berg House : Recently Remodeled Ski Lodge with Views of the Hakuba Mountain Range.
- Sierra Resort Hakuba : Hakuba's Luxury Resort Hotel with At-Home Relaxing Feel.
- Hotel La Neige Higashi-kan in Hakuba : Hakuba’s Small, Luxurious Hotel in the Woods.
- Hotel Hakuba Hifumi : Classy, Family-Run Ryokan in the Heart of Hakuba Village
- Oni no Kuriya : Oven-steamed Rice Dishes at a Road Station with Onsen.
- Kikyoya : Simply Hakuba's Best Sushi.
- Happo Bijin : One Bowl Is All It Takes to Totally Enjoy Hakuba: Go-Tochi (Local) Ramen.
- The Beach Bar : Southern Tropical Beach-Themed Bar in the Hakuba's Wadano neighborhood.
- Ohyokkuri Happo Honten : Grandma's Hakuba Homestyle Cooking.
- Search for Hidden Hamlet : Go Trekking to Find Otari Village’s Hamlet Only Accessible on Foot
- Alpine Yoga : Yoga Training in the Midst of the Hakuba Mountains.
- Hiking to Happo-ike Pond : Take in the Stunning Views of Happo Pond High Up in the Hakuba Range.
- Hiking to Togakushi's Giant Cedar Trees : Nature’s Power Awaits You at the Massive Cedar Trees Lining the Path to ‘Okusha’.
- Barrel Bath at Rinrinkan : Build a Fire to Heat the Water for your own Barrel Bath.