Kamesei Ryokan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : 亀清旅館・戸倉上山田温泉
Friendly, Traditional Japanese Onsen Inn run by an American-Japanese couple.
Small 12-room traditional ryokan with onsen hot spring baths in an onsen town along the Chikuma River. Mostly wood construction with the oldest building dating from over 100 years ago. Family-run but with a professional full-time chef. Proprietor is from America and is happy to share his enthusiasm for his adopted hometown with guests.
Experience the heart and soul of Japan -- make Kamesei Ryokan your base for exploring Nagano. Our traditional Japanese inn features a soothing onsen hot spring bath. Feel the warmth of our wood construction while enjoying the inn's gardens and koi pond. Relax in the spacious 10 tatami mat guest rooms while lounging in a light yukata robe.
Both main onsen baths have outdoor baths as well, hand-built by our proprietor. One is wood, made from yellow cedar. The other is a garden bath made of river stones, and is open to the sky allowing you to bathe in the starlight as you soak in the onsen water.
Local travel info happily provided by our proprietor. Tyler is an American who would be glad to share insight into his adopted home here in the Japanese countryside.
In fact, he started Zukudashi Eco Tours, a program to provide cycling and walking tours of the onsen town and vicinity.
Full dinner and breakfast are available and are highly recommended in order to truly appreciate the ryokan experience. Gourmet Kaseki-style Dinner featuring local and seasonal ingredients +4,320 yen (pls advise in advance to allow for preparation); full Ryokan Breakfast +2,160 yen (pls request at check-in); or +5,400 yen for both.
(Vegetarian / Special Diet Meals Available Upon Request.)
Our town of Togura-Kamiyamada Onsen is unique because it is an onsen town -- feel free to use our wooden geta sandals and walk around in your yukata. Browse the many local shops, soak your feet in the footbath, or wander down by the Chikuma River. Or walk up to the mountain castle on the hill behind our town, or rent a bicycle and ride along the Chikuma River. For dinners out, our guests enjoy the wide variety of restaurants. Especially popular are Kohaku which features the local specialty, a very, very spicy udon dish.
NOTE: Standard rooms are equipped with toilets; bathing facilities are with the hot spring mineral baths.
Check-in: 3pm. Check-out: 10am.
No curfew / lockout.
WiFi in all guestrooms.
Vegetarian Meals provided upon Request.
Knowledgeable help for your Nagano itinerary is gladly provided.
- In the lobby and all guestrooms.
- 2 guestrooms directly in front of the baths. The entrance, guestrooms and baths all have 1 step. The indoor baths have handrails.
- Date(s) :
- Check-In :
- Check-Out :
- Price of Accommodation :
- ¥Accommodation only 5,400 per person (4,320 for budget room)
With Dinner & Breakfast 10,800 per person (9,720 for budget room)
(Prices are for weekday and are subject to onsen tax.)
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard
- Reservations :
- Required(Recommended to confirm availability. Reservations can be made via the official website www.kamesei.jp, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone.)
- Capacity :
- 1 - 40
- Foreign Languages :
- English (Native English is spoken. )
- Room Types :
- Japanese Style(11 room(s)), Western Style(1 room(s))
- Area Sightseeing Info :
- Linens Included :
- Luggage Storage :
- Washing Machine :
Itinerary planning assistance gladly provided.
tel : +81(0)26-275-1032 fax : +81(0)26-276-103 Official site
- By Train
- From Togura Station(Shinano Railway), 7 minutes by bus (#9, "Kamiyamada Onsen Koen" 上山田温泉公園 stop). Free shuttle service available 14:30-17:30 -- just call upon arrival. To walk (2.2km, approx. 30min.), proceed straight (west) from Togura Station 400m on Route 336 to 戸倉上山田中学校前 signal (middle school on northwest corner). Turn left and go south 300m to City Office Togura Branch signal. Turn right onto Route 55 and go west 600m crossing the Chikuma River to Sarashina Shrine light. Turn left onto Route 77 and continue south 1km as road curves and becomes Kamiyamada Onsen's Chuo-dori (main street). Turn right onto Koen-dori (in between the clothing shop and pharmacy, before the gas station) and Kamesei will be directly ahead.
- By Car
- From Sakaki IC, Proceed straight 2.5km down Route 91 to Sakaki Inter signal and turn right onto Route 18. Go north 6.7km to Togurakamiyamadaonsen signal and turn left onto Route 498. Proceed west 1km crossing the Chikuma River to Kamiyamada Culture Hall signal. Turn right onto Chuo-Dori and head north 200m to Koen-Dori and turn left. Kamesei will be straight ahead.
- 2-15-1 Kamiyamada Onsen, Chikuma 389-0821
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Uedajo Castle Ruin Park : Invincible Castle Famous for Twice Repulsing the Tokugawa Shogunate.
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Aritaya Ryokan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Traditional Family-Run 100-Year Old Wooden Inn
- Tourist Hotel Green Plaza in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Budget-priced Accommodation in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada.
- Hotel Platon : City Hotel Amenities at Reasonable Prices with Onsen Baths.
- Yuzan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : One of the Major Ryokans in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada.
- Chuo Hotel in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Family-run Traditional Inn with a Folk Art Theme
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Daikokuya : Kamiyamada Onsen's Tiny Cafeteria Famous for Their Ramen and Garlic-Sauce Tonkatsu Pork.
- Soba Kaya : Authentic Soba Noodles in an Edo-era Thatched Roof Building.
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Wafuku (Japanese Clothing) Tutorial : Curious How Traditional Japanese Clothing Works? Have Saito-san Explain All.
- Spicy Udon at Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Udon Noodles with the Nefariously Spicy Nezumi Daikon Radish.
- Miso Soup Making Lesson : Learn How to Make That Most Basic of Japanese Cuisine: Miso Soup.
- Chikuma River Fish Cuisine : River Fish Cuisine at a Simple Shack along the Chikuma River.
- Fruit Picking at Kamiyamada's Crown Farm : Eat Fresh Grapes and Apples You Pick Yourself at this Foreigner-friendly, Family-run Orchard in Kamiyamada.