Flying Squirrel Watching Tour
Picchio Visitors Center : ピッキオビジターセンター
Twilight Forest Walk to See Flying Squirrels.
When staying in Karuizawa, come out to the woods at dusk and see the world's largest flying squirrel. The program begins with a talk on its diet, how far it flies and other interesting information. Walk outside, and experience the silence of the squirrel's flight broken only by the excited gasps of the audience. (While there is no guarantee to see the flying squirrels, the tour has a 98.5% success rate.)
- Hours :
- Center Hours 09:30-17:00 (until 15:00 December to March) Flying Squirrel Watching Tour start times vary with the season -- check website for details.
- Date(s) :
- Open Year-Round (occasional temporary closures)
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Adults - 3,300 Children - Primary school age : 2,500
- Time Required :
- 1.5 hours
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Amex, JCB
- Reservations :
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (Guide speaks basic English and there is an explanatory English brochure. Translators can be arranged (separate fee, advanced arrangement required).)
- Luggage Storage :
Age 4 years or older.
Other nature tours also available. Guidance is in Japanese, but birdwatching and mountain biking tours in the neighboring Karuizawa National Wildlife Forest as well as order-made tours provided.
tel : +81(0)267-45-7777 Official site
- By Train
- From Karuizawa Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), 25 min by the free shuttle bus to the Hoshino Area. Or, from Naka-Karuizawa Station on the Shinano Railway line, 25 min on foot or 5 min by taxi.
- By Car
- From Usui-Karuizawa IC, 25 min on Route 92 to Route 43, then the main Route 18 to Route 146.
From Komoro IC, 25 min using Route 79 to Route 80, then the main Route 18 to Route 146.
- Hoshino,Yacho-no-mori, Karuizawa, Kitasaku 389-0111
- Former Mikasa Hotel : Karuizawa's Landmark Japanese-built “Western” Hotel
- St. Paul Catholic Church : Romantic Chapel Vestige of Karuizawa’s Missionary Roots
- Kyu-Karuizawa : The Iconic Main Street of Old Karuizawa.
- Karuizawa Prince Shopping Plaza : Vast Outlet Shopping Mall in Nagano’s Great Outdoors
- Shiraito Waterfall : 70 meter-Wide Sylvan Waterfall
- Hoshinoya Karuizawa : “Discover the Ultimate Japan Experience”
- Karuizawa's Cottage inn Log-Cabin : Log Cabin in the Woods -- Best Way to Enjoy Karuizawa's Nature.
- Candytuft : Small, Family-run Pension in the Heart of Sylvan Karuizawa.
- Karuizawa Prince Hotels : More Than Just a Place to Stay, a Myriad of Activities to Enjoy.
- Takamine Onsen "Lamp Inn" : Romantic “Oil Lamp”-themed inn located at 2000 m featuring a panoramic “Above-the-Clouds” Bath.
- Shabu-shabu Log-tei : Wagyu dining in Karuizawa's forest.
- Karuizawa Torimikura : Poultry Restaurant boasting Local-Sourcing and Local-Cuisine.
- Akaneya Coffee : Cafe Where Every Menu Item is an Original.
- Karuizawa Meiji-tei : Unbearably Delicious Sauce Katsu-don.
- Sekisyo-Chaya : Japanese Eatery Close to Karuizawa Sta. with Fresh Fish Straight from the Sea of Japan, Local Poultry and Wide Variety of Sake.
- Glass Blowing in Karuizawa : Try a New Experience While Visiting Nagano – Glassblowing!
- Curling Lesson 60 : Try Your Hand at Curling at Japan's Largest Year-Round Curling Center.
- Jam-Making and Jam Factory Tour : Learn How to Make Jam From a Professional
- Onsen-by-Cable-Car: Hishino Onsen Tokiwakan : Ride a Cable Car up to Tokiwakan’s Panorama Onsen Baths.
- Volunteer Guide Tours in Ueda : Have a Volunteer English Guide Show You Ueda's Castle Town!