Suyakame Main Store : 門前みそ すや亀 本店
Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
Suyakame is easy to spot with its white plaster walls and large blue 'noren' curtain at the entrance emblazened with "門前みそ" Monzen (indicating its location close to the entrance to Zenkoji Temple) Miso. The interior imbues an atmosphere of an old-time merchants house, and various miso-based goods are on display and available for sampling. Free tea is served, too. At the restaurant, the main draw is the "Grilled Rice Ball Basket". That symphony of miso and soy sauce lightly covering the grilled rice balls is reminiscent of the way Grandmas (in Japan) used to make them. Lunch guests are treated to not one but three types of miso soup (varies daily) to choose from, and guests are welcome to free refills so all 3 can be tried. Tsukemono pickles are also all-you-can-eat.
- Hours :
- Restaurant (lunch): 11:30-14:30
Store: 9:00-18:00 (10:00-17:30 on Sundays and Holidays)
- Date(s) :
- Open daily throughout the year except closed Jan. 1st and 2nd.
- Average Price :
- Lunch 782-1,080
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- (English menu available.)
- Seating Style :
- Chairs(17 seat(s))
2nd store located near Zenkoji Temple's Niomon Gate, features freshly grilled rice balls wrapped in Nori and the iconic miso-flavored soft serve ice cream. Zenkoji Store hours 09:00-18:00. Purchases of 3,000 yen or more can be paid by credit card.
tel : +81(0)26-235-4022 fax : +81(0)26-235-0391 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), Go north on Chuo Dori Street past Showa Dori (Shindenmachi signal) to next signal, turn left and Suyakame will be on the left. (Approx. 15 min.)
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, 30 min.
- 625 Nishigo-cho, Nagano 380-0845
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Soba Agare-ya : Stone-milled Soba Eaten Around a Hearth.
- Learn How to Make Miso Paste : Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
- Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji : Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?
- Gibier (Wild Game Meat) : Are You Game to Try Game? Do as the Nagano-ites Do and Eat Wild Game Meat.
- Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple : Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.