Hiking to Happo-ike Pond
Take in the Stunning Views of Happo Pond High Up in the Hakuba Range.
Ride a chairlift and hike up to Happo-ike, a heavenly pond surrounded by the Hakuba Peaks of the Japanese Alps.
Nagano, home to the Japanese Alps, is known as the "Roof of Japan". Thanks to all of those mountains, Nagano boasts an unsurpassable selection of hiking opportunities. One of the most classic hikes is to Happo-ike Pond in the Northern Japanese Alps. You can ride a chairlift up to 1820-meter elevation. From there, it is a 1.5km (approx. 90 minute) vigorous hike to Happo-ike, a gem of pond perched up high above the Hakuba Valley. On a clear day, the 2900-meter tall peaks of the Hakuba Range reflect in the pond for a heavenly view.
- Hours :
- Kurobishi Lift operates 8:00-16:30 (from 06:30 for the first half of Aug.)
- Date(s) :
- Kurobishi summer operation from early July to mid-Oct. Happo Alpen Line operates from the end of May to early Nov.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Kurobishi Line 1,120 rt (Kurobishi No. 3 Pair + Grat Quad)
- Time Required :
- 2.5 hours
- Reservations :
- not required but expect lines during peak time
- # of Participants :
Wear sturdy hiking boots and clothing proper for mountain weather.
- By Train
- From Hakuba Station(JR Oito Line), Take taxi.
- By Car
- From Azumino IC, From the Azumino IC on the Nagano-do Expwy, take Route 310 north 3.3km to 重柳 signal and turn right onto Route 306. Proceed north 19.4km to the 上一北 signal and turn right onto Route 147. Proceed 3.3km to Minami Kariba signal and turn onto Route 148. Continue 12.7km to the Sanozaka signal and turn right onto Route 33. Proceed 9.3km to the Happo signal and go straight onto Route 322. Follow signs to Kurobishi Lift 9.4km.
- 4482 Hokujyo, Hakuba, Kitaazumi 399-9301
- Tsugaike Nature Park : A 1900 meter Altitude Treasure-Trove of Alpine Flowers
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Matsumoto Castle (National Treasure) : One of Japan's Finest Castles, With the Japanese Alps as a Backdrop
- Hakuba Mominoki Hotel : Government-registered Luxury Resort Hotel Featuring an Onsen Outdoor Bath.
- Hakuba Yamano-Hotel : Stylish Hotel Adjacent to the Happoone Ski Area Opposite the Olympic Ski Jump.
- HAKUBA TOKYU HOTEL : International Resort Hotel Fashioned after a European Mountain Lodge, at Hakuba’s Mt. Happoone.
- Hakuba's Hotel Goryukan : At the foot of the Happone Ski Area. Unbeatable meals and onsen baths.
- Hakuba Springs Hotel : Small Hotel with a Big Heart at the Base of Happo-One in the Northern Japanese Alps.
- Izakaya Kaz : Stylish Modern Izakaya Featuring Teppanyaki Grill and Sushi.
- Shara Japanese Restaurant : Locally-Run Restaurant Serving Sushi, Tempura, Shabu-shabu and Sukiyaki.
- The Pub : Hakuba's Authentic English Pub with Darts and Pool.
- Ohyokkuri Happo Honten : Grandma's Hakuba Homestyle Cooking.
- The Beach Bar : Southern Tropical Beach-Themed Bar in the Hakuba's Wadano neighborhood.
- Alpine Yoga : Yoga Training in the Midst of the Hakuba Mountains.
- Search for Hidden Hamlet : Go Trekking to Find Otari Village’s Hamlet Only Accessible on Foot
- 'Kanjiki' Snow Shoes Making Workshop & Hike : Make a Bit of Nagano’s Deep Snow Heritage: Kanjiki Traditional Snow Shoes.
- Barrel Bath at Rinrinkan : Build a Fire to Heat the Water for your own Barrel Bath.
- Learn How to Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village : Venture to Ogawa Village, the Oyaki Heartland, to Make Dumplings.