Learning to Make Oyaki Dumplings Near Zenkoji
Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : 小川の庄 大門店
Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village’s Zenkoji Shop.
Ogawa no Sho is based in Ogawa Village, the legendary home of oyaki dumplings. Their Patio Daimon is conveniently located steps from Zenkoji Temple in the heart of Nagano City. Learn how to make oyaki dumplings from the Ogawa no Sho pros at their fancy Patio Daimon location, a collection of 14 'kura' earthen-walled storehouses that have been relocated to an area near the main entrance to Zenkoji Temple.
Northern Nagano's soul food, 'oyaki', is basically a flour dumpling filled with various vegetables mixed with miso paste and soy sauce for seasoning. The fillings vary with the local and season but typical examples are eggplant, squash, leafy vegetables, northern Nagano's favorite pickled vegetable called 'nozawana', and others. There are even dessert versiond stuffed with sweet adzuki bean paste or apple. Originally roasted in coals in an 'irori' hearth, nowadays the cooking method tends to be fried, steamed, fried-then-steamed, or other modern ways. When in Nagano, especially the northern area, be sure to try eating 'oyaki'. And to get more out of your visit, how about trying to make the dumplings?
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed Wednesdays (or following day if national holiday)
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Time Required :
- 30 min-1 hour
- Reservations :
- Required(Individuals may be able to do the oyaki activity as walk-in, however reservations are recommended. For groups, reservations are required.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- English (Picture menu available.)
- Luggage Storage :
Price includes making 2 oyaki dumplings.
tel : +81(0)26-232-5786 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), Go north on Chuo Dori road 1.5km towards Zenkoji Temple.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Follow the signs to Zenkoji Temple. Patio Daimon is on the SE corner of the R406 and Chuo Dori Road intersection.
- 53 Patio Daimon, Daimon, Nagano 380-0841
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Nagano Dai-Ichi Hotel : Business Hotel Minutes from Nagano Station, Famous for Free Soba Noodles at Breakfast.
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Learn How to Make Miso Paste : Learn How to Make Miso Paste at Nagano City’s Premier Miso-Maker Suyakame.
- Guided Tour of Zenkoji Temple : Tour the Venerable Zenkoji Temple with the Knowledgeable Bonsho no Kai Volunteers.
- Insect Cuisine : Are You Brave Enough to Try a Meal of Insects?
- Gibier (Wild Game Meat) : Are You Game to Try Game? Do as the Nagano-ites Do and Eat Wild Game Meat.
- Togakure-ryu Ninja Training : Sneak a Peak into the World of Ninjas be a Lesson with a Togakure-do Master!