Aratojo Castle Historical Park : 城山史跡公園「荒砥城跡」
Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
Constructed not to satisfy the ego of its builder like most typical Japanese castles seen in Japan, Aratojo is a defensive fortification commanding an expansive view of the onsen town Togura-Kamiyamada and the Chikuma River valley below as well as the Japanese Alps in the distance. During the age of Warring States (1467-1568), similar forts dotted mountaintops all over Japan, but they have all since been destroyed by battle, fire, etc. Aratojo itself is a reconstruction but is the only one in all of Japan existing in its original shape.
- Hours :
- 9:00-17:00 (Last Entrance 16:30)
- Date(s) :
- Closed from 28-Dec to 3-Jan
- Entrance Price :
- Adults 300, Groups of 20 or more 250, Middle School and younger free.
- Time Required :
- 40 min
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- (Brochure with explanation in English available.)
- Luggage Storage :
- Not Available
No parking available for mid- or large-sized buses.
tel : +81(0)26-275-6653 Official site
- By Train
- From Togura Station(Shinano Railway), 10 min by taxi
- By Car
- From Koshoku IC, 30 min
From Sakaki IC, 20 min
- 3509-1 Kamiyamada, Chikuma 389-0822
- Uedajo Castle Ruin Park : Invincible Castle Famous for Twice Repulsing the Tokugawa Shogunate.
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Yuzan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : One of the Major Ryokans in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada.
- Chuo Hotel in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Family-run Traditional Inn with a Folk Art Theme
- Tourist Hotel Green Plaza in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Budget-priced Accommodation in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada.
- Ogiwarakan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Medium-sized Ryokan Famous for Congenial Service
- Hotel Platon : City Hotel Amenities at Reasonable Prices with Onsen Baths.
- Daikokuya : Kamiyamada Onsen's Tiny Cafeteria Famous for Their Ramen and Garlic-Sauce Tonkatsu Pork.
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Soba Kaya : Authentic Soba Noodles in an Edo-era Thatched Roof Building.
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Spicy Udon at Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Udon Noodles with the Nefariously Spicy Nezumi Daikon Radish.
- Miso Soup Making Lesson : Learn How to Make That Most Basic of Japanese Cuisine: Miso Soup.
- Wafuku (Japanese Clothing) Tutorial : Curious How Traditional Japanese Clothing Works? Have Saito-san Explain All.
- Fruit Picking at Kamiyamada's Crown Farm : Eat Fresh Grapes and Apples You Pick Yourself at this Foreigner-friendly, Family-run Orchard in Kamiyamada.
- Togura-Kamiyamada Onsen Geisha Show : 30-Minute Interactive Geisha Performance.