Activities - Cooking Lessons
Learn How to Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village
Ogawa-no-Sho Oyaki Village : 小川の庄 おやき村
Venture to Ogawa Village, the Oyaki Heartland, to Make Dumplings.
Ogawa Village, designated one of the most beautiful villages in Japan, is considered by some to be where oyaki originated from. At the Ogawa no Sho Oyaki-mura restaurant, you can learn how to make oyaki dumplings by roasting them over coals at a hearth as well as enjoy eating them afterwards.
Northern Nagano's soul food, 'oyaki', is basically a flour dumpling filled with various vegetables mixed with miso paste and soy sauce for seasoning. The fillings vary with the locale and season but typical examples are eggplant, squash, leafy vegetables, northern Nagano's favorite pickled vegetable called 'nozawana', and others. There are even dessert versions stuffed with sweet adzuki bean paste or apple. Originally roasted in coals in an 'irori' hearth, nowadays the cooking method tends to be fried, steamed, fried-then-steamed, or other modern ways. When in Nagano, especially the northern area, be sure to try eating 'oyaki'. And to get more out of your visit, how about trying to making the dumplings yourself?
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed Mondays or, if Monday falls on a national holiday then closed the next day.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Reservations :
- Required(Drop-ins welcome as long as the shop isn't crowded. Reservations required for groups.)
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- Japanese, English (Picture menu available.)
Price includes making 2 oyaki dumplings.
Depending on the time, reservations may not be necessary. (Reservations are required for groups.)
tel : +81(0)26-269-3767 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Joetsu Shinkansen), Take the Kawanakajima Bus Co. route to Takafu or Hatsuhiki, getting off at the Takafu stop (57 min., 12 runs daily). From bus stop, 5 min. by taxi.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, Take Route 19 west to Route 31. Proceed 5.2km and turn right. Oyaki-mura is 100m in. (23.6km, 40 min.)
- 6937 ,Takafu,Ogawa, Kamiminochi,381-3302
- Sightseeing Spots
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Tsugaike Nature Park : A 1900 meter Altitude Treasure-Trove of Alpine Flowers
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- Places of Lodging
- Yakimochiya : Old 'Kominka' Farmhouse-Styled Thatched-Roof Building Featuring an Irori Hearth.
- Oumei-tei Tsuji Ryokan : Togakushi Inn Famous for Soba (Buckwheat) Kaiseki Meals
- K’s House Hakuba Alps : Reasonably priced lodging with full amenities.
- Hakuba's Hotel Goryukan : At the foot of the Happone Ski Area. Unbeatable meals and onsen baths.
- Hakuba Onsen Ryokan Shirouma-So : Award-Winning Mountain Resort Ryokan
- Kikyoya : Simply Hakuba's Best Sushi.
- Happo Bijin : One Bowl Is All It Takes to Totally Enjoy Hakuba: Go-Tochi (Local) Ramen.
- The Beach Bar : Southern Tropical Beach-Themed Bar in the Hakuba's Wadano neighborhood.
- Ohyokkuri Happo Honten : Grandma's Hakuba Homestyle Cooking.
- The Pub : Hakuba's Authentic English Pub with Darts and Pool.
- Barrel Bath at Rinrinkan : Build a Fire to Heat the Water for your own Barrel Bath.
- Oyaki Dumpling Making at Yakimochiya : Learn How to Make Oyaki Dumplings at the Hearth of this Thatched Roof Farmhouse.
- Zazen Meditation -- 5am Zazen at Kaigen-ji : Quiet Your Mind with 5am Zazen Meditation at Historical Kaigen-ji Temple.
- Soba-Uchi (Making Buckwheat Noodles) at Togakushi Tonkururin : Make Soba Noodles by Hand at Buckwheat Mecca Togakushi.
- Alpine Yoga : Yoga Training in the Midst of the Hakuba Mountains.