Oyaki Dumpling Making at Yakimochiya
Yakimochiya : かやぶきの宿 やきもち家
Learn How to Make Oyaki Dumplings at the Hearth of this Thatched Roof Farmhouse.
Yakimochiya is an old, thatched-roof farmhouse located in between Nagano City and Hakuba Village. The building features an 'irori' hearth in the center imbueing the interior with the scent of firewood. Here oyaki dumplings are made in the old-fashioned way of cooking them in the coals of the hearth. Oyaki roasted in coals have a crispy texture to the shell for a taste like no other. Have one of Yakimochiya's oyaki masters show you the technique.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Open daily throughout the year.
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 1,080 yen per person + 185 per oyaki dumpling.
- Time Required :
- 1 hour
- Credit Cards :
- VISA, MasterCard, Amex
- Reservations :
- # of Participants :
- Foreign Languages :
- Luggage Storage :
10 people at a time can do the oyaki making.
tel : +81(0)26-267-2641 fax : +81(0)26-268-3924 Official site
- By Train
- From Nagano Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), Take the Alpico bus bound for Takafu and get off at the Nakajo stop. From there it is 6km up a mountain road. For lodging or banquet guests, shuttle service is provided. For groups of 20 or more for oyaki making, contact in advance for shuttle service.
- By Car
- From Nagano IC, via Route 19, approx. 40 min.
- 5286-1 Nakajo Kusagano, Nagano 381-3202
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Tsugaike Nature Park : A 1900 meter Altitude Treasure-Trove of Alpine Flowers
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Yakimochiya : Old 'Kominka' Farmhouse-Styled Thatched-Roof Building Featuring an Irori Hearth.
- Oumei-tei Tsuji Ryokan : Togakushi Inn Famous for Soba (Buckwheat) Kaiseki Meals
- Togakushi Campsite : Camp in an Open Field at the Base of Picturesque Togakushi Mountain.
- 1166 Backpackers at Zenkoji Temple : Small Guesthouse in an Old Temple Neighborhood
- Hotel Metropolitan Nagano : Full-scale "Grand Hotel" Adjacent to Nagano Station.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Kikyoya : Simply Hakuba's Best Sushi.
- Learn How to Make Oyaki Dumplings at Ogawa Village : Venture to Ogawa Village, the Oyaki Heartland, to Make Dumplings.
- Barrel Bath at Rinrinkan : Build a Fire to Heat the Water for your own Barrel Bath.
- Soba-Uchi (Making Buckwheat Noodles) at Togakushi Tonkururin : Make Soba Noodles by Hand at Buckwheat Mecca Togakushi.
- Hiking to Togakushi's Giant Cedar Trees : Nature’s Power Awaits You at the Massive Cedar Trees Lining the Path to ‘Okusha’.
- Zazen Meditation -- 5am Zazen at Kaigen-ji : Quiet Your Mind with 5am Zazen Meditation at Historical Kaigen-ji Temple.