Togura-Kamiyamada Onsen Geisha Show
Kamiyamada Togura Onsen Geisha Guild : 上山田戸倉温泉芸寮協同組合
30-Minute Interactive Geisha Performance.
Enjoy a 30-min Geisha Show by the Togura-Kamiyamada Onsen Geisha Guild. The geisha will perform a couple songs, teach the group the moves to a dance and have everyone join in to dance around the room, then challenge the guests to some geisha parlor games. At the end, guests can pose for pictures with the geisha.
Togura-Kamiyamada has historically been the onsen resort town that people stay at after a pilgrimage to the Zenkoji Temple in Nagano City. Guests come to soak in the onsen baths and throw a big banquet, call in some geisha and have an exciting night before returning to their normal lives. Today, Togura-Kamiyamada is one of the rare onsen towns where you can have the geisha come to liven things up your banquet. Normally the geisha come for a minimum of 2 hours with most of the time spent chitchatting and pouring drinks for the guests. With this 30-minute Geisha Show, the geisha will perform some songs such as our area's traditional love song Kamiyamada Ko-uta, teach the group how to dance to the 'Tanko-bushi' (Coal-Miner) or similar song and have the guests join in dancing around the room. Then the geisha will challenge everyone to Konpira Funafuna or other geisha parlor games, followed by time for pictures with the geisha.
- Hours :
- Can vary, but usually 18:00-18:30.
- Date(s) :
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- 10,000 per geisha. Recommended minimum 2 geisha (1 'tachikata' dancer, and 1 shamisen player). (Note: 100% cancelation fee if canceled the day of the show.)
- Time Required :
- 30 min
- Reservations :
- Required(Recommended minimum 1 week prior to confirm availability)
- # of Participants :
- 1 or more; Suggested for groups of +5
Japanese language ability isn't necessary to appreciate watching the geisha dances, and the geisha are accustomed to using body language to teach the dancing and games. Make reservations via your place of accommodation in Togura-Kamiyamada. Standard 2-hour geisha entertainment also available.
tel : +81(0)26-276-1351 Official site
- By Train
- From Togura Station(Shinano Railway), 2.2km walk (approx. 30 min Rt. 336, left on to Rt. 18, right on to Rt. 55, cross bridge and left on to Rt. 77) or bus #8.
- By Car
- From Sakaki IC, follow Route 91 down, turn right on to Route 18, turn left onto Route 498 and cross the river to the Kamiyamada Culture Hall signal. Tourism Hall on the NW corner.
- 2-12-10 （Inside the Chikuma City Tourism Hall) Kamiyamada Onsen, Chikuma 389-0821
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Ogiwarakan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Medium-sized Ryokan Famous for Congenial Service
- Chuo Hotel in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Family-run Traditional Inn with a Folk Art Theme
- Aritaya Ryokan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Traditional Family-Run 100-Year Old Wooden Inn
- Yuzan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : One of the Major Ryokans in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada.
- Kamesei Ryokan in Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Friendly, Traditional Japanese Onsen Inn run by an American-Japanese couple.
- Soba Kaya : Authentic Soba Noodles in an Edo-era Thatched Roof Building.
- Daikokuya : Kamiyamada Onsen's Tiny Cafeteria Famous for Their Ramen and Garlic-Sauce Tonkatsu Pork.
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Suyakame Main Store : Original Miso-Based Menu at Zenkoji's Original Miso Maker.
- Monzen Machiya Gallery Juniten : 86-year old Renovated Machiya Near the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Go Jomon! Experience Japan's Prehistoric Era : Experience the Lifestyle of Japan’s Prehistoric Jomon Period.
- Tsukemono (Japanese Pickles) Cooking Lesson : Learn Recipes Using Japanese Pickles at a Boutique Tsukemono Store.
- Chikuma River Fish Cuisine : River Fish Cuisine at a Simple Shack along the Chikuma River.
- Miso Soup Making Lesson : Learn How to Make That Most Basic of Japanese Cuisine: Miso Soup.
- Spicy Udon at Onsen Town Togura-Kamiyamada : Udon Noodles with the Nefariously Spicy Nezumi Daikon Radish.