Komoro Castle Ruins Kaikoen : 小諸城址 懐古園
Unusual "Castle in a Hole" with Beautifully Landscaped Grounds
Built in a jagged gorge leading down to the Chikuma River, Kaikoen's most famous architectural feature is the Sannomon Gate which acts as the castle's entrance when approaching from Komoro Station. The moss-covered stacked stones express the castle's 400-year history, as do the centuries-old cherry and zelkova trees, said to be 5 centuries old. Museums and a zoo are Also on the castle grounds are the Keizo Koyama Art Museum as well as a small zoo and amusement park. The area was a favorite spot of Japan's famous Meiji-era literary figures such as novelist Shimazaki Touson, Bokusui Wakayama and Kyoshi Takahama. You'll find many memorials with their writing on them.
- Hours :
- Date(s) :
- Closed Wednesdays and around the New Years holiday. (Open daily Apr. thru Nov.)
- Entrance Price :
- Adults 500, Children 200, Group discount available.
- Time Required :
- 1.5 hours
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English and Chinese brochures available. )
- Luggage Storage :
tel : +81(0)267-22-0296 fax : +81(0)267-25-0296 Official site
- By Train
- From Komoro Station(Shinano Railway), 3 min on foot.
From Sakudaira Station (shinkansen), take JR Koumi Line to Komoro Station, then 3 min on foot.
- By Car
- From Komoro IC, 5 min (3km)
- 311 Tei, Komoro 384-0804
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Oiwake-juku Post Town : Historical Crossroads Post Town Popular with Literary Scholars
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Shiraito Waterfall : 70 meter-Wide Sylvan Waterfall
- Uedajo Castle Ruin Park : Invincible Castle Famous for Twice Repulsing the Tokugawa Shogunate.
- Nakadanasou in Komoro : Old-fashioned Inn, Favorite of Shimazaki Toson. A Quiet Retreat for Adults.
- Mountainside Tokiwakan in Komoro : Ride a Cable Car to an Above-The-Clouds Outdoor Onsen Bath.
- Takamine Onsen "Lamp Inn" : Romantic “Oil Lamp”-themed inn located at 2000 m featuring a panoramic “Above-the-Clouds” Bath.
- Hoshinoya Karuizawa : “Discover the Ultimate Japan Experience”
- Karuizawa's Cottage inn Log-Cabin : Log Cabin in the Woods -- Best Way to Enjoy Karuizawa's Nature.
- Teisyaba Garden : Tea Time in a Community Flower Garden.
- Kokuzo : Natural Yeast Artisan Bread Shop in a 150-Year Old Farmhouse.
- Shabu-shabu Log-tei : Wagyu dining in Karuizawa's forest.
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Karuizawa Torimikura : Poultry Restaurant boasting Local-Sourcing and Local-Cuisine.
- Onsen-by-Cable-Car : Ride a Cable Car up to Tokiwakan’s Panorama Onsen Baths.
- Jam-Making and Jam Factory Tour : Learn How to Make Jam From a Professional
- Flying Squirrel Watching Tour : Twilight Forest Walk to See Flying Squirrels.
- Curling Lesson 60 : Try Your Hand at Curling at Japan's Largest Year-Round Curling Center.
- Volunteer Guide Tours in Ueda : Have a Volunteer English Guide Show You Ueda's Castle Town!