Matsukawa Gorge : 松川渓谷
Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
The Matsukawa Gorge is a deep 'V' carved out by its namesake Matsukawa River, a tributary of the Chikuma River. The steep flanks covered in deciduous trees especially split-leaf maples become a vivid green with new growth in the spring and a cacophony of golden yellow and orange hues in the fall. The red color of the graceful Takai Bridge provides a brilliant contrast.
The river's flow is punctuated by 3 large waterfalls, of which "Kaminari" (Lightning) Falls is unique in that the brave can venture behind the waterfall (closed from the end of Nov. to early May). 8 different hot spring areas are also interspersed along the gorge.
- Hours :
- Takayama Onsen Tourist Association office open 09:00-17:45.
- Date(s) :
- Takayama Onsen Tourist Association office closed the third Wednesday of the month.
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English, Chinese and Korean language pamphlets.)
- Luggage Storage :
- By Train
- From Suzaka Station(Nagano Dentetsu Nagano Line), via bus bound for Yamada Onsen or taxi (approx. 30 min)
- By Car
- From Suzaka Nagano East IC, Turn right at the Kotakamachi intersection then left at Kamihaccho intersection, right at the Hongo intersection, then proceed to Takayama Village (30 min., 15km)
- Oku-Yamada, Takayama, Kamitakai 382-0800
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Nozawa Onsen Sparina : Year-Round Bath House with Onsen Pool
- Shiraito Waterfall : 70 meter-Wide Sylvan Waterfall
- Jinpyo-kaku Honten in Kanbayashi Onsen : Old-Fashioned Inn Loved by Literary and Political Greats.
- Senshinkan Matsuya : Friendly, Family-Run Inn in the Heart of Shibu Onsen.
- Kokuya in Shibu Onsen : Sukiya (Tea House)-Style Ryokan Founded 400 Years Ago, Close to Jigokudani Wild Monkey Park.
- Kanaguya : Iconic 4-story Wooden Ryokan in Historical Shibu Onsen
- Ryokan Biyu no Yado : Located in the heart of Yudanaka Onsen, Convenient to the Snow Monkeys.
- Enza café & ramen enza : A stylish café and ramen restaurant located at the trail head leading to the Snow Monkey Park
- Chanko Cuisine Tamaya : Reasonably-Priced Healthy "Chanko" Stews.
- Soba Agare-ya : Stone-milled Soba Eaten Around a Hearth.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Restaurant ST. COUSAIR : European-Style Restaurant Overlooking a Field of Wine Grapes.
- Onsen-Hopping at Shibu Onsen : Soak in Shibu Onsen’s 9 Public Baths for Good Luck.
- Photographing Japanese Macaques in the Wild : Observe Japanese Monkeys Up-Close in Their Natural Habitat
- Zazen Meditation -- With a German Priestess at Horakuan : Practice Zazen Meditation with Guidance in English or German in Suzaka.
- Try Your Hand at Kyudo (Japanese Archery) : Experience Kyudo, Japan’s Spiritual Version of Archery.
- Nakano Clay Doll Painting : Paint Your Own Artistic Nakano Clay Doll.