Sightseeing Spots - Sightseeing
Matsukawa Gorge : 松川渓谷
Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
The Matsukawa Gorge is a deep 'V' carved out by its namesake Matsukawa River, a tributary of the Chikuma River. The steep flanks covered in deciduous trees especially split-leaf maples become a vivid green with new growth in the spring and a cacophony of golden yellow and orange hues in the fall. The red color of the graceful Takai Bridge provides a brilliant contrast.
The river's flow is punctuated by 3 large waterfalls, of which "Kaminari" (Lightning) Falls is unique in that the brave can venture behind the waterfall (closed from the end of Nov. to early May). 8 different hot spring areas are also interspersed along the gorge.
- Hours :
- Takayama Onsen Tourist Association office open 09:00-17:45.
- Date(s) :
- Takayama Onsen Tourist Association office closed the third Wednesday of the month.
- Reservations :
- Not required
- Foreign Languages :
- English (English, Chinese and Korean language pamphlets.)
- Luggage Storage :
- By Train
- From Suzaka Station(Nagano Dentetsu Nagano Line), via bus bound for Yamada Onsen or taxi (approx. 30 min)
- By Car
- From Suzaka Nagano East IC, Turn right at the Kotakamachi intersection then left at Kamihaccho intersection, right at the Hongo intersection, then proceed to Takayama Village (30 min., 15km)
- Oku-Yamada,Takayama, Kamitakai,382-0800
- Sightseeing Spots
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Places of Lodging
- Guesthouse Kura : International Guesthouse in a Renovated Historical House in "Storehouse Town" Suzaka.
- Guesthouse Obuse : 4-Room Hotel / Tea Shop / Guide Center.
- Vent Vert : French Country-style Auberge in Quaint Obuse
- Zenkoji Fuchinobo : Temple Lodging along Zenkoji's Main Approach, Famous for Vegetarian Shojin Cuisine.
- Nagano Shimizuya Ryokan : Traditional Ryokan 5-min Walk from Zenkoji Temple
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Soba Agare-ya : Stone-milled Soba Eaten Around a Hearth.
- Restaurant ST. COUSAIR : European-Style Restaurant Overlooking a Field of Wine Grapes.
- Ogawa-no-sho Daimon Shop : Nagano's Own Oyaki Dumplings Cooked on Coals on a Hearth.
- Yayoiza : Serving Nagano's Heritage Cuisine at the Entrance to Zenkoji.
- Obuse's Half Marathon : Quirky Half-Marathon in the Quaint Town of Obuse.
- Edo Bento & Gardens at the Tanaka Residence : Eat as a Wealthy Edo-Era Merchant Did with Tanaka House’s Re-Created Edo Bento.
- Ice Skating at M-Wave : Feel Like an Olympic Speedskater at M-Wave’s Olympic Ice Rink.
- Zazen Meditation -- With a German Priestess at Horakuan : Practice Zazen Meditation with Guidance in English or German in Suzaka.
- Nakano Clay Doll Painting : Paint Your Own Artistic Nakano Clay Doll.