Zazen Meditation -- With a German Priestess at Horakuan
Horakuan Temple : 豊楽庵
Practice Zazen Meditation with Guidance in English or German in Suzaka.
Horakuan offers Zazen meditation in a quiet farmhouse-turned-temple in the outskirts of Suzaka City, led by a German-born Buddhist priestess.
Zazen meditation can be done any time, any place. But what makes doing zazen in Nagano unique is that the stillness of the countryside here lends itself perfectly to doing meditation. Plus, we have some rather unique zazen meditation sessions here for you to experience.
Horakuan is Buddhist temple in Suzaka City that offers zazen sessions. The temple is in a remodeled farm house, and is run by Dorothee Eshin Takatsu, an ordained Buddhist priestess originally from Germany. She is happy to explain about Buddhism in general and zazen meditation in particular, in fluent English or German.
Horakuan's Zazen meditation session schedule can be found at http://horakuan.net/calendar_en/. Other times can be arranged by appointment. Sessions are typically available from April to December.
- Hours :
- Zazen meditation session schedule can be found at http://horakuan.net/calendar_en/. Other times can be arranged by appointment. Feel free to call anytime.
- Date(s) :
- Programs offered Apr. - Dec.-- see calendar on website for details. (Closed Dec. - Mar.)
- Cost / Price of Admission :
- Free, but since it's a temple it would be good karma to make a donation
- Reservations :
- Required(Required (contact info: http://horakuan.net/contact-directions/) )
- # of Participants :
- 1-20 for zazen programs.
- Foreign Languages :
- English, German (English and German spoken.)
Accommodation also available up to 4 people.
Dormitory style up to 10 people.
tel : +81(0)80-1131-1378 Official site
- By Train
- From Suzaka Station(Nagano Dentetsu Nagano Line), Call for pick-up. (Detailed access info: http://horakuan.net/contact-directions/)
- By Car
- From Suzaka Nagano East IC, 11.5km (25 min.).
- 1937 Toyooka Kami-machi, Suzaka 382-0022
- Hokusaikan : Actual Works by Woodblock Print Master Hokusai
- Matsukawa Gorge : Picturesque River Gorge with 3 Waterfalls and 8 Hot Springs Districts
- St. Cousair's Winery & Vineyards : “Country Comfort” Winery and Garden Terrace
- Zenkoji Temple : The Legendary Temple at the Heart of Nagano City
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Guesthouse Kura : International Guesthouse in a Renovated Historical House in "Storehouse Town" Suzaka.
- Vent Vert : French Country-style Auberge in Quaint Obuse
- Guesthouse Obuse : 4-Room Hotel / Tea Shop / Guide Center.
- Sugadaira Kogen Onsen Hotel : Sport (Ski, Rugby) and Relaxation Onsen Resort.
- Uotoshi Ryokan in Yudanaka : Ryokan with a Kyudo (Japanese Archery) Range.
- Soba Agare-ya : Stone-milled Soba Eaten Around a Hearth.
- Cafe Waraku : Pasta & Pancakes in a 'Kura' Storehouse.
- Chanko Cuisine Tamaya : Reasonably-Priced Healthy "Chanko" Stews.
- Enza café & ramen enza : A stylish café and ramen restaurant located at the trail head leading to the Snow Monkey Park
- Restaurant ST. COUSAIR : European-Style Restaurant Overlooking a Field of Wine Grapes.
- Edo Bento & Gardens at the Tanaka Residence : Eat as a Wealthy Edo-Era Merchant Did with Tanaka House’s Re-Created Edo Bento.
- Obuse's Half Marathon : Quirky Half-Marathon in the Quaint Town of Obuse.
- Nakano Clay Doll Painting : Paint Your Own Artistic Nakano Clay Doll.
- Try Your Hand at Kyudo (Japanese Archery) : Experience Kyudo, Japan’s Spiritual Version of Archery.
- Onsen-Hopping at Shibu Onsen : Soak in Shibu Onsen’s 9 Public Baths for Good Luck.