Ikushima-Tarushima Shrine : 生島足島神社
Distinct Vermilion-colored Shrine in Japan's Geographic Center
Home to the Shinto god that protects the entire country of Japan. Decorated in a distinct vermilion color with several ancient, gigantic trees on the premises. Also in the complex are a library that houses many classical works and a kabuki theater whose stage features a platform raised and lowered by hand. The shrine is espcially popular around New Years and in the fall for Shichi-Go-San blessing of 3, 5 and 7-year old children.
- Open year-round.
- Entrance Price
- Offerings accepted. Formal blessings, group prayers, etc. available from 1000 per person.
- Time Required
- 30-40 min
- Foreign Languages
- (English brochure available.)
- Luggage Storage
- Not Available
Groups are requested to have an interpreter.
tel : +81(0)268-38-2755 fax : +81(0)268-39-1515 Official site
- By Train
- From Ueda Station(JR Hokuriku(Nagano) Shinkansen), From Ueda Station, take the Ueda Dentetsu Line towards Bessho Onsen, and get off at the Shimonogo Station, then 3 minutes on foot. Or, take a taxi (approx. 15 min)
- By Car
- From Ueda Sugadaira IC, 20 min (10km)
- 701, Nakaike-Nishi Shimonogo, Ueda 386-1211
- Yanagi-Machi Post Town : The Past Meets the Present in Ueda City’s Historical Post Town
- Unno-juku Post Town : Post Town with Distinctive Architecture and Beautiful Streetscape
- Aratojo Castle Historical Park : Hilltop Fortress from the Warring States Era
- Daio Wasabi Farm : Japan's Largest Wasabi Farm in the Pristine Waters of Azumino
- Komoro Castle Ruins Kaikoen : Unusual "Castle in a Hole" with Beautifully Landscaped Grounds
- Ueda Mahoroba Youth Hostel in Bessho Onsen : "At-Home" Youth Hostel convenient to Bessho Onsen.
- Hanaya in Bessho Onsen : Traditional Japanese Construction Built by Master Craftsmen with Western Accents for a "Taisho Romance" Feel.
- Izumiya Ryokan in Reisenji Onsen : Simple Onsen Inn Secluded in the Hills in Reisenji Onsen
- Uematsuya Ryokan in Bessho Onsen : Friendly Ryokan in the Center of Bessho Onsen.
- Saito Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen : Modern High-Rise Onsen Hotel in Kakeyu Onsen.
- Soba Hojyo-an : Locally Grown and Milled "Homecoming Soba".
- Cafe Levian Table & Tatami-Cafe Eboshi : Artisan Bakery in a Sake Warehouse.
- Kokuzo : Natural Yeast Artisan Bread Shop in a 150-Year Old Farmhouse.
- Ramen Kameya : Feel At Home with Kameya's Locally-Sourced Ramen.
- Daikokuya : Kamiyamada Onsen's Tiny Cafeteria Famous for Their Ramen and Garlic-Sauce Tonkatsu Pork.
- Shioda Plain Temple Walk : Take in the Historical Temples around Bessho Onsen with this 1-Day Tour.
- Volunteer Guide Tours in Ueda : Have a Volunteer English Guide Show You Ueda's Castle Town!
- Silk Weaving Experience (Ueda Tsumugi) : Sit at a 100-Year Old Loom and Make Your Own Ueda Silk Weaving.
- Zazen Meditation -- At Bessho Onsen's Historical Anraku-ji Temple : Attend a Zazen Meditation Session at Bessho Onsen’s Historical Anraku-Ji Temple.
- Hotto Stay Rural Visit : Rural Lifestyle Mini-Experience.