Nakamachi Shopping Street, which is located in Matsumoto City, is holding a fun Japanese culture event at the Kurassic-kan on Sep. 6 (Wed) and Sep 23 (Sat). Here you can try all kinds of Japanese arts, crafts, activities, and other cultural experiences, not to mention everything is hands-on and mostly free!
Besides the main event at the Kurassic-kan, several of the shops and restaurants around Nakamachi will also be offering cultural activities like traditional games or food/drink tastings. See below for a list of activities and where you can get the official details, event flyer, or see the event on Facebook!
There will also be volunteers providing translation/interpretation to help with communication, including local high school students and local guides. So not only is this a great opportunity to experience Japanese culture, but also a nice chance to communicate with the locals!
* A report of Sep 6 is here.
Place: Kurassic-kan in Nakamachi, Matsumoto
Date & Time: Sep. 6 and Sep. 23, 10 am – 4 pm (times for activities at the shops differ. Check the event flyer or webpage)
Event webpage: http://nakamachi-street.com/en/experiencedays/
Event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1607791399271217/
Get the official PDF flyer here which includes a map and all activity details:
List of main activities at the Kurassic-kan:
- Origami folding
- Japanese calligraphy
- Japanese Tea Ceremony (traditional way of making matcha green tea)
- Japanese folding fan decorating
- Play with old-fashioned and traditional Japanese toys
- Sake tasting with Nakamachi’s original-brand sake
- Kimono (yukata) and ninja costume rental (paid activity)
- Rickshaw rides around Nakamachi (paid activity, discount with kimono rental)
- Ninja blowgun activity (paid activity, free with ninja costume rental)
List of shops offering activities around Nakamachi:
- Geiyukan: Try plaing the shamisen, a traditional Japanese music instrument.
- Kuriya: Make fresh wasabi from real wasabi root.
- Senri: Japanese wine, sake, amazake, and juice tasting
- Yamahei: Introduction of some Japanese local foods
- Yaguchi: Try wearing geta, a traditional form of Japanese footwear.
- Ihara: Chopsticks and beans game
- Itoya: Play the konpira fune-fune game, a traditional game played at geisha banquets, and other activities.
- Okinado Kura Branch: Try playing the Japanese taiko drum. Also, exhibit of traditional tools used for making Japanese confections/sweets
- Temariya: Free Japanese tea
Flyer page listing shop activities. Download the PDF for all the details.